none
C# interop DLL method seems to return wrong values RRS feed

• Question

• My C# method returns a bool value. In this particular test I know it was returning true.

But the interface version of the method has the bool return value as a VARIANT_BOOL reference argument.

When I make the call:

VARIANT_BOOL bResult;
    pInterface->SomeFunction(&bResult);
    if(bResult == VARIANT_FALSE)
      bSomeError = true;

I am finding that sometimes my MFC C++ calling code receives what it considers to be a VARIANT_TRUE response but at other times it considers it to be a VARIANT_FALSE response, even though I know that the method itself had returned "true" by the use of a message box popup.

So this is making my application raise errors to the user when technically there wasn't any.

Please advise as to what I can do to resolve this issue and make my application / interop COM DLL relationship more stable.

Thank you in advance.

Andrew

PS. I was not sure which forum to use.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:11 AM

Answers

• Hello Andrew,

1. >> But that got converted into a VARIANT_BOOL retval parameter in the TLH file.

1.1 The .NET bool type is always marshaled as VARIANT_BOOL when exposed to COM.

2. >> Why did the bool retval go bogus on me?

2.1 I assume that the ProcessBatchEvents() was previously defined as follows :

void ProcessBatchEvents(ref bool iResult);

2.2 It is possible that the "iResult" parameter got assigned by the COM-Callable-Wrapper to a default value if inside ProcessBatchEvents(), "iResult" remained unassigned when the function returned. A "ref" parameter need not be assigned by the function before it returns.

2.3 To ensure that this does not happen, what you can do is to change the parameter from being a "ref" parameter to an "out" parameter :

public void ProcessBatchEvents(out bool iResult);

In this situation, the C# compiler will ensure that ProcessBatchEvents() will assign a value to "iResult" before the function returns.

- Bio.

Please visit my blog : http://limbioliong.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:03 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the clarification about "out".I was using:

public bool ProcessBatctEvents()

initially. I tried changing it to the "out bool" approach for all my methods and I found I started getting the same error again when testing against VARIANT_FALSE.

So I have altered all my methods to use "out Int64 iResult" and in C++ I pass a __int64 variable. This at the moment seems stable.

Andrew

• Edited by ajtruckle Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:18 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:18 PM

All replies

• Showl the C# code.  Your C++ code snippet seems OK, as long as your C# code always returns a value.
    Jose R. MCP
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:35 AM
  • I changed the code thus:

Calling code:

if (bProcessBatch)
                                        {
                                            long iResult;
                                            pInterface->ProcessBatchEvents(&iResult);
                                            if (iResult == FALSE)
                                                bResult = false;
                                        }

C# declaration:

void ProcessBatchEvents(ref int iResult);
    C# definition:

public void ProcessBatchEvents(ref int iResult) { bool bResult = true; try { EventFeed batchResultFeed = (EventFeed)m_Service.Batch(m_BatchFeed, new Uri(m_Feed.Batch)); //check the return values of the batch operations to make sure they all worked. //the insert operation should return a 201 and the rest should return 200 bResult = true; foreach (EventEntry entry in batchResultFeed.Entries) { if (entry.BatchData.Status.Code != 200 && entry.BatchData.Status.Code != 201) { bResult = false; } } m_BatchFeed = null; } catch (LoggedException /*ex*/) { /*MessageBox.Show(ex.Message.ToString(), "ProcessBatchEvents", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);*/ bResult = false; } //return bResult; if (bResult) iResult = 1; else iResult = 0; //return true; }

Previously it was just returning a bool. And all paths returned a bool. But that got converted into a VARIANT_BOOL retval parameter in the TLH file.

I changed the logic as above and now I do not get any false errors. It correctly fills my variable with the right value.

That seems to work every time. I am not getting an error now.

My concerns are:

1. Why did the bool retval go bogus on me?
    2. Do I have to change all my methods to pass a int by ref for a result to be safe?

Andrew

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Hello Andrew,

1. >> But that got converted into a VARIANT_BOOL retval parameter in the TLH file.

1.1 The .NET bool type is always marshaled as VARIANT_BOOL when exposed to COM.

2. >> Why did the bool retval go bogus on me?

2.1 I assume that the ProcessBatchEvents() was previously defined as follows :

void ProcessBatchEvents(ref bool iResult);

2.2 It is possible that the "iResult" parameter got assigned by the COM-Callable-Wrapper to a default value if inside ProcessBatchEvents(), "iResult" remained unassigned when the function returned. A "ref" parameter need not be assigned by the function before it returns.

2.3 To ensure that this does not happen, what you can do is to change the parameter from being a "ref" parameter to an "out" parameter :

public void ProcessBatchEvents(out bool iResult);

In this situation, the C# compiler will ensure that ProcessBatchEvents() will assign a value to "iResult" before the function returns.

- Bio.

Please visit my blog : http://limbioliong.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the clarification about "out".I was using:

public bool ProcessBatctEvents()

initially. I tried changing it to the "out bool" approach for all my methods and I found I started getting the same error again when testing against VARIANT_FALSE.

So I have altered all my methods to use "out Int64 iResult" and in C++ I pass a __int64 variable. This at the moment seems stable.

Andrew

• Edited by ajtruckle Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:18 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:18 PM