Problems with FileUpload control RRS feed

• Question

• User-64985147 posted

I have been trying for 2 weeks to find the solution, but no luck. These are the problems with FileUpload control that I cannot resolve:

1. No upload progress indicator - leaves the user clueless of what is happening (sometimes even for more than a minute for larger files)

2. No method of canceling the upload

3. From what I understood when reading the specs of FileUpload, the file first gets saved in main memory on the server, and from there on the hard drive. - if this is true, can somebody please confirm this, if I use a shared hosting account with a low amount of allocated main memory, if I have about 10 users trying to upload their images at the same time, the application will crash.

I have seen companies selling custom controls that seem to solve all of these problems, but they cost hundreds of dollars and I don't have that kind of money since I'm just starting out. Is there a solution that takes care of these issues? So far, I have been able to implement the FileUpload control to upload jpg files less than 4MB in size and redirect the user back to the correct page if the file is too big - another hurdle that I had to jump for something that seems so trivial. I've also added the code to resize the images on the server side for thumbnail use and larger size. Right now I am stuck on showing upload progress and canceling the upload. Also, has anyone had good experience using the FileUpload control on high traffic websites and was the performance limited? Thank you in advance.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 11:00 PM

Answers

All replies