none
Windows XP turns off keyboard at login screen RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old Dell Dimension 8300, which still runs Windows XP, that I have recently dusted off. and I have a problem that I cannot figure out....

First, when I turn the computer on, before it starts to boot, it gives me an error saying something about low battery voltage, and telling me to either click F1 to continue, or F2 to enter Setup. So, I click F1, and it works, as such I know the computer knows the keyboard is connected. However, then it starts to boot to Windows, and comes to a screen asking me to choose an account, and I do so. Then it seems like it completely ignores the fact that I have a keyboard at all, and clicking the keys does NOTHING at all.

Even ctrl>alt>delete does nothing, it is like the keyboard is not even plugged in, but it is because I can see the light is still on. Is this a physical problem, or something to do with the BIOS??

Thanks in advance!!

zlloyd1

Saturday, April 14, 2018 9:43 PM

Answers

• In addition to that: Your BIOS settings may have been reset due to low battery. You told your keyboard is not working, and I assume you are using an USB based one. Are other USB devices working (mouse,...)? If not, check your BIOS settings for USB 3.0 settings - I remember a similar sitution where I needed to disable USB 3.0 (by keeping USB 2.0 enabled!) because USB 3.0 drivere were mssing in my WES7 O/S.
    • Marked as answer by zlloyd1 Monday, April 16, 2018 2:35 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2018 7:13 AM
  • Thanks all, but I think it was because I was using the wrong keyboard, and the Dell would not recognize it properly....

It was HP keyboard that was messing up, and when I traded it out for a different board, it worked!!

zlloyd1

Monday, April 16, 2018 2:35 PM

All replies

• I'm guessing it's not a laptop. Tower style PC's have a battery for keeping the time when the PC is turned off/unplugged. It would be on the motherboard somewhere.

La vida loca

Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:12 PM
  • +1 check CMOS battery.

Try a USB keyboard - plug and re-plug.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Saturday, April 14, 2018 11:24 PM
  • In addition to that: Your BIOS settings may have been reset due to low battery. You told your keyboard is not working, and I assume you are using an USB based one. Are other USB devices working (mouse,...)? If not, check your BIOS settings for USB 3.0 settings - I remember a similar sitution where I needed to disable USB 3.0 (by keeping USB 2.0 enabled!) because USB 3.0 drivere were mssing in my WES7 O/S.
    • Marked as answer by zlloyd1 Monday, April 16, 2018 2:35 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2018 7:13 AM
  • Thanks all, but I think it was because I was using the wrong keyboard, and the Dell would not recognize it properly....

It was HP keyboard that was messing up, and when I traded it out for a different board, it worked!!

zlloyd1

Monday, April 16, 2018 2:35 PM