Take a picture? RRS feed

• Question

• User284564 posted

I'm trying to start a new mobile project. I've been a C# developer for 20 years -- Various Azure technologies, ASP / .NET Core, WPF, and even Silverlight.

I would love to use Xamarin FORMS but I can't find any information on how to take a picture with the camera on BOTH Android and iOS, except for one third party library that I'd rather not use for a variety of reasons.

Xamarin has been around for about 9 years and I can't believe that this is not part of the platform. It's mind-boggling.

Flutter has only been out for a couple of years and it can take photos CROSS PLATFORM WITH ONE CODE BASE out of the box.

I'd rather not have to learn Flutter and Dart or go with hybrid solution like Ionic / Capacitor.

Is the Xamarin team ever going to get around to adding this?????

Sunday, August 16, 2020 3:39 PM

All replies

• User74 posted

Xamarin iOS and Xamarin Android already support the taking of photos, but I presume you are referring to Xamarin.Forms? Any reason you don’t want to use a NuGet package like this one? https://github.com/jamesmontemagno/MediaPlugin

Sunday, August 16, 2020 4:51 PM
  • User284564 posted

@JohnH said: Any reason you don’t want to use a NuGet package like this one? https://github.com/jamesmontemagno/MediaPlugin

As I said, I'm not interested in this package for a various of reasons.

Interacting with the camera is one of the key scenarios for many or even most mobile applications. I would like a solution from Microsoft.

What can't Microsoft add this capability to Xamarin Essentials?

How come Google can do it but Microsoft can't???

I don't get it.

Sunday, August 16, 2020 5:00 PM
  • User74 posted

You do know James works for Xamarin / Microsoft, right? You didn’t say which package, I was just offering you an option.

Sunday, August 16, 2020 5:16 PM
  • User284564 posted

@JohnH said: You do know James works for Xamarin / Microsoft, right?

Yeah, I worked at Microsoft in Redmond for 8 years too. (Before Xamarin).

Having a current or former Microsoft employee develop something on their own is NOT the same as having an officially supported Microsoft feature.

I don't understand why this is such a struggle.

Google did it with Flutter.

Microsoft needs to do it with Xamarin Forms too.

WTF Microsoft???

Sunday, August 16, 2020 6:20 PM
  • User74 posted

I really don’t see why are so upset by this. The code is pretty straight forward, that’s probably why they used this functionality as an example on how to write cross platform originally.

Good luck!

Sunday, August 16, 2020 6:42 PM