none
Visual Studio 2005 cannot connect to a Window CE device via TCP/IP on 64-bit Windows 7 ultimate. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, friends. I am working a smart device project based on Windows CE 6.0 and Visual Studio 2005 on 64-bit Windows 7 ultimate. I need to attach the actual device to Visual Studio 2005, deploy and debug the application on the device without ActiveSync. I read this post and follow the exact steps stated in MSDN.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsmobiledev/thread/3e1d1eef-c51d-414f-a155-9d2c6e72d501/

I have two configurations A and B.

Configuration A: Visual Studio 2005, Windows CE 6.0 and 64-bit Windows 7 ultimate. All service packages are installed for Visual Studio 2005 and Windows CE 6.0.

However, I got the following error message when Visual Studio 2005 connects to the physical device via TCP/IP.

"Connection failed. ActiveSync bootstrap initialization failed. Please connect/cradle a real device or download the User-level Windows Mobile Device Center Application from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?linkid-67763"

But we can connect to this actual device from another PC running  Visual Studio 2005 without Windows CE 6.0 on Windows XP.

Configuration B, Visual Studio 2005 and 64-bit Windows 7 ultimate

I uninstalled Windows CE 6.0 and only kept Visual Studio 2005.

I tried to connect to the actual device again but this time the connection just hung there and did not return anything.

Does anybody have clues to solve this annoying problem? I have wasted a couple days on it already.

Thanks a lot,

Michael

• Moved by Jesse Jiang Monday, September 19, 2011 7:03 AM (From:Visual Studio Smart Device Development - Native C++ Project)
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:16 PM

Answers

• Hello,

my advise is not to waste time on this combination. Microsoft does not list Windows 7 as supported OS for Platform Builder 6 (VS2005 by itself may work). The fact that someone made PB 6 work in such situation does not mean you can or anyone can.

So it is up to you, keep trying different tweaks with Windows 7 or choose compatible OS.

Hope this helps

SergeiR

• Marked as answer by Michael Run Monday, August 13, 2018 6:39 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:36 AM

All replies

• Hi, all,

When I said I installed Windows CE 6.0, I actually installed PlatformBuilder for Windows CE 6.0 and it is a plug-in component in Visual Studio 2005. PlatformBuilder used to be a standalone IDE but MS used Visual Studio to replace it.

Therefore, when I unstalled Windows CE 6.0, I actually uninstalled Platform Builder for Windows CE from Visual Studio.

Thanks,

Michael

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I think your issue should be raised in the Windows Embedded Compact Platform Development. I believe they will know more information of this issue than us, and I will move this one to that forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:02 AM
  • Hi Michael,

there are few thoughts about your troubles:

1.  PlatformBuilder for WinCE 6.0 isn't declared as Windows7 compatible. So you could use "Windows XP mode" under W7 for running CE6. I'm not sure, but someone of my colleges assert that PlatformBuilder works fine under super Administrator privileges.

2. Since some CE6.0 QFE (approx. April-May of 2011),  "cmaccept" stuff has stopped to work properly. You may try to use registry settings instead:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System]
        "CoreConOverrideSecurity"=dword:1

• Edited by iShust Monday, September 19, 2011 9:14 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:12 AM
  • Hello,

my advise is not to waste time on this combination. Microsoft does not list Windows 7 as supported OS for Platform Builder 6 (VS2005 by itself may work). The fact that someone made PB 6 work in such situation does not mean you can or anyone can.

So it is up to you, keep trying different tweaks with Windows 7 or choose compatible OS.

Hope this helps

SergeiR

• Marked as answer by Michael Run Monday, August 13, 2018 6:39 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:36 AM