none
Solutions for PCIE USB3 cards failures on older machines - drivers won't "migrate", PCIE versions 1.1 not fast enough, HWInfo64 to see RRS feed

• Question

• I thought I'd put out there what I learned getting my older machine to work. My machine is an EP45-UD3P and has no builtin USB 3.0 ports.

The first trick is getting a PCIe to USB 3.0 card that is *reported* to work. Needs to be a USB superspeed 3.0 card. But not just any card, as the Kinect folks will attest. I focused on Renesas uPD720201 and uPD720202 cards.

Ok, I find one at Amazon: Rosewill Add-On Card Model RC-508. Then I check the customer comments for "kinect", to make sure people could get it to work. Many confirmations.

But, it arrives, I install it, and no go. I'm getting notifications ‘not enough USB controller resources’. The Kinect is dropping in and out of my device manager. It's maxing out the CPU. The notifications about the lack of USB controller resources keep coming maybe every 10 seconds. SNAFU.

It's a USB 3.0 superspeed confirmed to work by a lot of people on Amazon. So what gives? Maybe it's my machine.

1st Issue - Older machines driver installs can be iffy.

I go into the Device Manager, it says the card is operating normally.

But I check on events, and see comments in the event about "Device not migrated on Windows 10". Well that doesn't look good. So I download the drivers from Rosewill. They give a message confirming install. But still no go. So I update the drivers again from Msoft. No complaints about 'Device not migrated" this time. But still, no go. Still the complaints about bandwidth. 

After much poking around trying to find a way to confirm the bandwidth of the card, I finally find HWInfo64, which promises to give great detail on device parameters. And it delivers on that promise.

What I find is that while it is a USB 3.0 card, it's not playing at USB 3.0 speeds. Why? 

I have the card in a single channel PCIe slot. But that should be fine. A single channel slot can handle the bandwidth. 

But... when I find the card under a PCI Express Root Port, I see that HWInfo64 says

Maximum link speed: 5.0 GT/s

Current link speed: 2.5 GT/s

So that's the problem. The card isn't running at full speed. HWInfo64 shows that the PCI Express Root Port used is only PCI Express Version 1.1, with Maximum Link Speed of 2.5 GT/s. A little googling confirms that yes, PCI Express version 1.1 is just slower, and won'd give you USB 3.0 superspeed.

The board advertises as PCIe version 2.0. But that doesn't mean *all* PCIe ports are version 2.0.

But, the extra PCIe x16 slot on my machine is PCIe Version 2.0. I power down, plug the card into the PCIe x16 slot, reboot, and *presto*, I've got a kinect running on my machine. Unfortunately, my graphics card now has to live with a downgrade to x8, as the x16 is shared across the two PCIe x16 slots, but I'll live. I'm not playing games. 

Speed increase of the Renesas in the new slot confirmed in HWINFO64.

Current Link Speed: 5.0 GT/s

That HWInfo64 is simply gold. 

Without it, I've got no clue what's going on and why. I'm flying blind. With it, I know what is rated at what speed and running at what speed. Even if you're sure that your card or usb slot is USB 3.0 superspeed, just go check and *know* what speed it's running at.

I discovered that some of my USB slots are USB 2.0, some USB 1.0. I was using USB 1.0 slots for some things. Not anymore.

Monday, April 8, 2019 9:08 AM