none
UEFI firmware test fail as DHCP4/6 RRS feed

• Question

•    When run UEFI Firmware Certification Test, it fail the test as below info, we did not see such error before, seems it is realted with the Network Service which displays DHCP 4 and 6.  Or it is related with the environment setup?

Does anyone encounter this before??

LocateProtocol boot service failed with EFI_STATUS: 14, for EFI_DHCP4_SERVICE_BINDING_PROTOCOL
    LocateProtocol boot service failed with EFI_STATUS: 14, for EFI_DHCP4_PROTOCOL

LocateProtocol boot service failed with EFI_STATUS: 14, for EFI_DHCP6_SERVICE_BINDING_PROTOCOL
    LocateProtocol boot service failed with EFI_STATUS: 14, for EFI_DHCP6_PROTOCOL

Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Felix,

This error means that the test was unable to access the IPV4 and 6 Firmware Protocols on a system with a wired LAN connection.

Usually this just means they are not enabled in the Firmware.  Please make sure that these Network Boot Protocols are enabled in the Firmware before running the test.

Hope that helps,

Dwight Carver

Dwight Carver [MS]

Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Felix,

This error means that the test was unable to access the IPV4 and 6 Firmware Protocols on a system with a wired LAN connection.

Usually this just means they are not enabled in the Firmware.  Please make sure that these Network Boot Protocols are enabled in the Firmware before running the test.

Hope that helps,

Dwight Carver

Dwight Carver [MS]

Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Hi Felix,

Hope that helps,

Dwight Carver

Dwight Carver [MS]

Thanks Dwight,

So we should confirm this with NIC Vendor, right?

Friday, December 14, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Hi Felix,

I would start with the Firmware first.  Please verify that those Network boots are enabled in the Firmware menus.  Once enabled that should give you the option to boot to IPV4 and IPV6 networks from the Firmware's boot menu.  Once that is working the test will then be able to verify those connection protocols and hopefully pass :).

Friday, December 14, 2012 11:39 PM
  • Hi Felix,

I would start with the Firmware first.  Please verify that those Network boots are enabled in the Firmware menus.  Once enabled that should give you the option to boot to IPV4 and IPV6 networks from the Firmware's boot menu.  Once that is working the test will then be able to verify those connection protocols and hopefully pass :).

Hey Dwight,

We compared with our other platforms, there is a "Enable UEFI Network Stack" option in another platform, and it is passed DHCP4/6.

BUT we also find that if we clear IPv6 settings in Server and SUT, it is also passed, but it passed as

"DHCP Status - 1

System either ARM or does not have wired LAN or TPM"

With "Enable UEFI Network Stack" option platform passed this part as,

"DHCP Status - 1

Calling LocateProtocol for EFI_DHCP4_SERVICE_BINDING_PROTOCOL
    Calling LocaterProtocol for EFI_DHCP4_PROTOCOL
    Calling LocaterProtocol for EFI_DHCP6_SERVICE_BINDING_PROTOCOL
    Calling LocaterProtocol for EFI_DHCP6_PROTOCOL "

Does these two kinds of situation are expected? Or we should get the second passed result?

• Edited by Felix GAO Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:25 AM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

I meet the same failure, and I find there is description about it.

"There is a known test issue with DHCP_4 and DHCP_6 when the machine does not have a wired network and has Bluetooth. See Errata 567 for more information."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh998298.aspx

My system hasn't wired LAN, but has Bluetooth, Is it a known issue ?

Where is the errata 567 ?

Thanks!

xtdumpling

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:18 AM
  • You may need to check your BIOS settings of UEFI Network Stack option or some like this.

I did not check the errata 567, maybe already invalid.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:35 AM
  • I check in UEFI shell with command: 'drivers', and find the network protocol are not installed.

I think that the reason is that we have not network device installed, and USB-2-LAN adapter is not managed by UEFI network drivers.

Then read the PASS log file carefully, I find that

Context Index: 1216399762
    Current: Protocol Boot Services Test
    Parent: Create Logs
    Start Test 4/17/2013 1:00:46.671 上午 Protocol Boot Services Test
    Message 4/17/2013 1:00:46.671 上午 This routine will validate the Protocol Handler Boot Services
    Message 4/17/2013 1:00:46.671 上午 LocateProtocl for LOADED_IMAGE_PROTOCOL
    Message 4/17/2013 1:00:46.671 上午 LocateProtocol for DEVICE_PATH_PROTOCOL
    Message 4/17/2013 1:00:46.671 上午 Calling HandleProtocol on the ImageHandle for the LOADED_IMAGE_PROTOCOL
    Message 4/17/2013 1:00:46.671 上午 EDrive status = 0
    Message 4/17/2013 1:00:46.671 上午 eDrive not present. Skipping eDrive tests
    Message 4/17/2013 1:00:46.671 上午 DHCP Status - 1
    Message 4/17/2013 1:00:46.671 上午 System either ARM or does not have wired LAN or TPM
    End Test 4/17/2013 1:00:46.671 上午 Protocol Boot Services Test
    Result: Pass

As the words in bold, it seems that this test tool would check DHCP protocols when there is wired LAN or TPM

Our platform has TPM, but we have no wired LAN, so it is failed.

As we know, TPM is mandatory required for Windows 8, but LAN is not.

How to deal with our system which has TPM but no LAN. Is it covered by erratum 567 ?

Thanks!

xtdumpling

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:44 AM
  • Are you seeing an actual failure in the UEFI Logo test?

TPM requirement validation is covered on another test.  The UEFI Firmware test verifies that on systems that have TPM and Wired NET(onboard) that both DHCP 4 and 6 protocols from the Firmware should exist and be enabled.  In the log above the test is Passing correctly because there is no Wired LAN.

Errata 567 is for systems that do not have wired LANs, and have Bluetooth LAN.  There was an issue in the test where the Bluetooth adapter was incorrectly identified as a local LAN, causing the DHCP Failures noted above.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Yes, I get failure in the UEFI Logo test.

Let me clarify my configuration, my system hasn't onboard LAN:

1. When TPM is enabled, UEFI Logo test failed.

2. When TPM is disabled, UEFI Logo test pass.

So, I compare these two test reports, and find that information:

This test case would verify network protocols when TPM is enabled, no matter LAN exists or not.

Is it the expected behavior ?

Thanks!

xtdumpling

Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:18 AM