Fix Webpages to look correct in other web browsers RRS feed

• Question

• I have a church website, that does not look good in any other browser except IE8. The church bought me the Web Expression 3 to help out. However I am having a diffcuit time understanding it. Our main problem is that our website looks really bad in every other browser. How can I fix it?
    Monday, June 28, 2010 1:09 PM

Answers

• Definitely you'll need to start over.  It would be much faster than trying to fix that site's code.

Do go through, at a minimum, the w3schools.com tutorials on HTML/XHTML and CSS.  They do not take much time, are not difficult, and will give you a grounding in the basics.  Then, do go through Cheryl's Basic Site tutorial, linked in the Resources section of that Before Posting message.  Take the time to watch it, download the files, and then work along with it.  That will take a few hours.

Then, play with a new site in EW that you create from one of the Templates, and learn how a DWT works.

Then, and only then, try to recreate the site. 

If you do this, rather than trying to jump in, you really will, in spite of what seems like a long run up to getting started, save yourself a lot of time - days and weeks of false starts and frustration - by the end.

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Learn.  Seriously, that's the only way.  You need to step back from EW and learn about HTML, CSS and cross browser differences.  Without that it will be a constant struggle.  Fix one thing, break two more.  Start at the BEFORE POSTING sticky.  Make sure to head over to w3schools.com.
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Monday, June 28, 2010 1:14 PM

All replies

• Learn.  Seriously, that's the only way.  You need to step back from EW and learn about HTML, CSS and cross browser differences.  Without that it will be a constant struggle.  Fix one thing, break two more.  Start at the BEFORE POSTING sticky.  Make sure to head over to w3schools.com.
    --
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:14 PM
  • You have to learn HTML, CSS, and browser differences (although proper design will minimize the need to deal with browser differences).  Go through the Resources toward the bottom of the Before Posting message at the top of this forum, including going through the Basic Site tutorial.

Post a link to the site and folks might be able to give you some general advice.  If it's really bad, the answer will be: start your site over.

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:15 PM
  • I am okay with learning by trial and error, however I won't to fix the website so it looks good right now. I learned all by myself FrontPage, I know that is not an advice program but still. With someone who does not work with websites everyday it was a struggle. I just want the churches website to look good and not disorted.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 1:17 PM
  • I am going to start fresh with a new site, but I would like to get the current one looking okay. The original website was designed by someone who no longer has contact with the church.

http://www.gbgm-umc.org/bondsgrove/

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:20 PM
  • The code is pretty bad.  Fixing it is not an option.  You should start over.  Read the BEFORE POSTING, learn how to properly lay out a website, re-code a 'template' for the website and then copy/paste your copy over.
    --

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Definitely you'll need to start over.  It would be much faster than trying to fix that site's code.

Do go through, at a minimum, the w3schools.com tutorials on HTML/XHTML and CSS.  They do not take much time, are not difficult, and will give you a grounding in the basics.  Then, do go through Cheryl's Basic Site tutorial, linked in the Resources section of that Before Posting message.  Take the time to watch it, download the files, and then work along with it.  That will take a few hours.

Then, play with a new site in EW that you create from one of the Templates, and learn how a DWT works.

Then, and only then, try to recreate the site. 

If you do this, rather than trying to jump in, you really will, in spite of what seems like a long run up to getting started, save yourself a lot of time - days and weeks of false starts and frustration - by the end.

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:55 PM