none
Windows Application with TableAdapters Failed to enable constraints RRS feed

• Question

• I've written a VS 2005 windows application that uses table adapters to access a SQL 2000 database. I'm having problems with failed to enable constraints error. My tableadapter is linked to a stored procedures making it a typed dataset. The stored procedure returns a number of columns from a view (not all the columns in the view). The view is pulling data from five different tables (not all columns for all tables). I can run the view in SQL and run the stored procedure in SQL without a problem. I can run the method on the tableadapter while in design mode without a problem. But when I tried to run the tableadapter via code at runtime I get this error. I've set EnforceContstraints to false for xsd file. How can I figure out what is causing this error? I've went into my stored procedure and made sure every field that was being pulled is checked for nulls and set appropriately if a null value is found. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I'm in the process of going thur every table and their constraints to try and find the data problem. Does anyone have a better suggestion for figuring this out?

• Moved by Aland Li Monday, March 22, 2010 6:22 AM Incorrect forum (From:Windows Forms General)
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:51 PM

Answers

•             DataSet ds = new DataSet();
                //...
                try
                {
                    ds.EnforceConstraints = true;
                }
                catch (ConstraintException)
                {
                    // Adapted from: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.datatable.geterrors.aspx 
                    foreach (DataTable table in ds.Tables)
                    {
                        // Test if the table has errors. If not, skip it.
                        if (table.HasErrors)
                        {
                            // Get an array of all rows with errors.
                            DataRow[] rowsInError = table.GetErrors();
                            // Print the error of each column in each row.
                            for (int i = 0; i < rowsInError.Length; i++)
                            {
                                foreach (DataColumn column in table.Columns)
                                {
                                    Console.WriteLine(column.ColumnName + " " +
                                        rowsInError[i].GetColumnError(column));
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }

There is a nice trick with EnforceConstraints.  If you catch the exception, you can then use DataTable.GetErrors to check that DataSet for detailed error messages.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Thanks for everyone's suggestion. Sorry for the delay was pulled into another project and am just getting back to this. I did figure out my problem, it had to do with maxlength of a field. Something so simple can cause such a headache. Thanks Again!

• Marked as answer by sbrazier Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:42 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:42 PM

All replies

•             DataSet ds = new DataSet();
                //...
                try
                {
                    ds.EnforceConstraints = true;
                }
                catch (ConstraintException)
                {
                    // Adapted from: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.datatable.geterrors.aspx 
                    foreach (DataTable table in ds.Tables)
                    {
                        // Test if the table has errors. If not, skip it.
                        if (table.HasErrors)
                        {
                            // Get an array of all rows with errors.
                            DataRow[] rowsInError = table.GetErrors();
                            // Print the error of each column in each row.
                            for (int i = 0; i < rowsInError.Length; i++)
                            {
                                foreach (DataColumn column in table.Columns)
                                {
                                    Console.WriteLine(column.ColumnName + " " +
                                        rowsInError[i].GetColumnError(column));
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }

There is a nice trick with EnforceConstraints.  If you catch the exception, you can then use DataTable.GetErrors to check that DataSet for detailed error messages.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Hi sbrazier,

I am moving this thread from the "Windows Forms General" forum to the "ADO.Net DataSet" forum, since the issue is related to "ADO.Net DataSet". There are more "ADO.Net DataSet" experts in the "ADO.Net DataSet" forum.

Aland Li

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Hi sbrazier,

BinaryCoder’s reply provides a very good method to trace such kind of errors. Below is the details of this method:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.datatable.geterrors.aspx

Could you please run it and let us know the details of the error? It is better if you could provide the code snippets related to the error or the lines of code where the exception is thrown.

You said the code works fine in designer but not in runtime. I suggest comparing the code generated in [FormName].Designer.cs and the code you wrote. This will give you some hints why the error appears.

One possible cause is below:
    The type of the column is altered during runtime: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/Vsexpressvb/thread/27aec612-5ca4-41ba-80d6-0204893fdcd1

Monday, March 22, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Ok here is how I'm returning my data from the tableadapter:

Public Function GetDSOBills(ByVal dsonum As Integer) As DebtSetOffDataSet.HITS_debt_setoff_billsDataTable
                Dim t As DebtSetOffDataSet.HITS_debt_setoff_billsDataTable = New DebtSetOffDataSet.HITS_debt_setoff_billsDataTable
                Try
                    Using taDSO as New DebtSetOffDataSetTableAdapters.HITS_debt_setoff_billsTableAdapter()
    		   taDSO.Connection = HITS.Data.Security.GetSqlConnection
                           t = taDSO.GetDataByDSONum(dsonum)
                Catch ex As Exception
                    Throw ex
                End Try
                Return t
            End Function

At what point, would I using this suggested code? I'm a little confused here.

Monday, March 22, 2010 10:30 PM
  • Hello,

Welcome to ADO.NET DataSet forum!

I would recommend you follow BinaryCoder’s suggestion to troubleshoot this issue.  We can catch the ConstraintException and call DataTable.GetErrors to retrieve detailed error information.   Please modify the Catch block codes to use code logic of BinaryCoder’s code snippet.    With the detailed error information, we can analyze what issues cause the ConstraintException.   

Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions.  

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:46 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.  Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions? 

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.   I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 1:38 AM
  • Thanks for everyone's suggestion. Sorry for the delay was pulled into another project and am just getting back to this. I did figure out my problem, it had to do with maxlength of a field. Something so simple can cause such a headache. Thanks Again!

• Marked as answer by sbrazier Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:42 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Hi sbrazier,

BinaryCoder’s reply provides a very good method to trace such kind of errors. Below is the details of this method:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.datatable.geterrors.aspx

Could you please run it and let us know the details of the error? It is better if you could provide the code snippets related to the error or the lines of code where the exception is thrown.

You said the code works fine in designer but not in runtime. I suggest comparing the code generated in [FormName].Designer.cs and the code you wrote. This will give you some hints why the error appears.

One possible cause is below:
    The type of the column is altered during runtime: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/Vsexpressvb/thread/27aec612-5ca4-41ba-80d6-0204893fdcd1

Many thanks to your description! It is just the solution for my problem.

I am getting this infuriating error "failed to enable constraints" and I have looked everywhere for clues to solve it.  It seems I have tried everything.  I am a beginner and am working with the Northwind.mdf database.  I followed the link above but I do not know where to put this code to check datatable.geterrors().  Can you please tell me where do I put this code?  In the meantime I guess I'm just going to move on continuing trying to learn from tutorials which I have been doing.  All was good until I keep getting this error on the Suppliers table trying to invoke a stored procedure which sorts a gridview.  Doing the same thing with two other tables and they work fine!! but with this dang-bern Suppliers table I get this cotton-pickin error.  It drives me crazy to keep on going without being able to solve this problem but I'm beginning to think it is way above my head for some reason.  Can you help me?  I intend to follow this thread closely for advice.  I see this last post from Miguel Kopp is only a month old so I am in hopes that someone with intense knowledge can enlighten me.  Just tell me what I need to do and I will follow thru to get to the bottom of this.  Maybe it could end up helping somebody else as well who is at the end of their rope.  This seems to be a very diverse problem.  I'm thinking the problem is with the database and there is nothing I do about it.  By the way I am using Visual Studio's tableadapter/.xsd mechanism to get to the DB.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:34 PM
  • @himrockffan

Sorry to inform you that you are mistaken by a spambot who use vargue words like claiming to find solutions (check http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/reportabug/thread/66660ce6-ab4e-4f79-82e6-4c66de184a84 for other example words) that fit in every thread to save the cost of coming up meaningful replies.

I suggest you to remove the reply in your quote, which contains a disguised SEO link at the word "code" before "snippets related to the error".

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, April 15, 2011 9:22 PM