none
Host CLR from unmanaged code how to get to instance of Activator / _Activator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We try from within AutoIt to host the CLR which works partially

https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/187334-using-net-libary-with-autoit-possible/

However how do I get in a C like language access to the Activator instance or how can i instantiate that one?

oMSCorAssembly.CreateInstance("System.Activator") seems not to work

Similar for value types like System.Int32 or System.String there is no clear example around.

In general would be nice to C a hosting example from PLAIN C like language

thx,

Elwin

Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi junkew,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, what is your C like language?

If you use C++ unmanaged code to call managed code to create a instance of System.Activator, you could check the link of blog below.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/calvin_hsia/2013/08/30/call-managed-code-from-your-c-code/

I hope this would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:02 AM
  • I have working examples in C++ but looking more for plain C.

AutoIt is the language I am using which uses mainly either COM or DLL Call to Win32 Api

Instantiating objects like system.arraylist all works fine from AutoIt but just getting a "System.Activator" so far no luck. Reading thru activator.cs reference source gives me the belief I cannot instantiate from non managed language or com 

// This class only contains statics, so hide the worthless constructor
            private Activator() {}

As I am hosting the CLR I somehow have to get access to _Activator/System.Activator to be able to 

a. instantiate oActivator to be of type System.Activator or get _Activator

b. Then do oActivator.CreateInstance as according to documentation this can instantiate more types then system.assembly.createinstance

I even tried to instantiate with CoCreateInstance but no luck

Friday, April 28, 2017 1:53 PM
  • Hi junkew,

Thank you for feedback.

For your question, please check the following link. It shows how to use .net library with autolt.

https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/187334-using-net-libary-with-autoit-possible/?page=9

If you want to expose the Activator class to unmanaged code. Please refer to the following links.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.runtime.interopservices._activator(v=vs.110).aspx

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.runtime.interopservices._activator?view=netframework-4.7

And you could download the source file from Calling C# .NET methods from unmanaged C/C++ code for reference.

I hope this would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

I am co author of that AutoIt UDF thread you refer to and I know the other references you gave.

But somehow we do something wrong from AutoIt which is closer to C like language then to C++ or C#.

As such we are looking for an example thats closer related to AutoIt.

I made below in Excel 2010 VBA to see how to get an activator in VBA. I know thats probably not the best place to load .NET CLR but at least it gives me some indication if and how i can get an activator from a nonmanged/com like world.

' Add references to mscoree.tlb and mscorlib.tlb of .NET 2.0
    ' Then call the methods below
    Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

Sub test()
        Dim clr As mscoree.CorRuntimeHost               'The runtime host
        Dim domain As mscorlib.AppDomain                'The domain we are running in
        Dim oCoreAssembly As Assembly                   'A specific assembly loaded

Dim oFormAssembly As Assembly                   'A specific assembly loaded
        Dim iType As mscorlib.Type                      'A reference to the type of the FCL
        Dim loadedAsms() As Assembly                    'A variant array

Dim oForm As Object                             'A reference to but an instance of a form in
        Dim oCol As mscorlib.Object                              'A (not working) reference to get the controls collection in
        Dim oInt As mscorlib.Type

Dim tStr As String                              'String with the class/type to be created

Set clr = New mscoree.CorRuntimeHost            'Create the CLR

Dim loadedAssemblies As Variant

clr.Start                                       'Start the CLR
        clr.GetDefaultDomain domain                     'Get the default running domain

Set oCoreAssembly = domain.Load_2("mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089")

'Load the System.Windows.Forms dll
        Set oFormAssembly = domain.Load_2("System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089")

tStr = "System.Windows.Forms.Form"               'Name of the type to create
        Set iType = oFormAssembly.GetType_2(tStr)        'Get an interface so things can be invoked/get/set etc.
        Set oForm = oFormAssembly.CreateInstance_2(tStr, True) 'Create an actual instance of the given type
        oForm.Name = "Nice try from VBA"                 'Set a name property
        oForm.Text = "Nice, VBA rocks to"                'Set a title property

tStr = "System.Windows.Forms.Button"             'Name of the type to create
        Set iType = oFormAssembly.GetType_2(tStr)        'Get an interface so things can be invoked/get/set etc.
        Set oBtn = oFormAssembly.CreateInstance_2(tStr, True) 'Create an actual instance of the given type
        oBtn.Text = "do not hit"                          'Set a caption property
        Set oBtn.Parent = oForm                           'Link it to the form

oForm.Show                                          'Show the form

loadedAsms = domain.GetAssemblies()             'See which assemblies are loaded by default

For Each asm In loadedAsms                      'Just dump some information from assemblies
            Debug.Print asm.FullName
        Next

tStr = "System.Int32"               'Name of the type to create
        Set iType = oCoreAssembly.GetType_2(tStr)        'Get an interface so things can be invoked/get/set etc.
        Set oInt = oCoreAssembly.GetType_2(tStr)
        'oFormAssembly.CreateInstance_2(tStr, True) 'Create an actual instance of the given type

tStr = "System.Convert"               'Name of the type to create
        Set iType = oCoreAssembly.GetType_2(tStr)        'Get an interface so things can be invoked/get/set etc.
      '  Set oConvert = oFormAssembly.CreateInstance_2(tStr, True) 'Create an actual instance of the given type
        'oFormAssembly.CreateInstance_2(tStr, True) 'Create an actual instance of the given type

'   Set oCol = oForm.Controls
        'Debug.Print oCol.GetType()
    'Here the problems start
            'bFlags = 0
          'Fails
          'Debug.Print oCol.Count

'Set pUnwrapped = oForm.Unwrap

'    Set oCol = iType.InvokeMember_3("Controls", bFlags, Null, pUnwrapp, Null, Null)

End Sub

regards,

Elwin

• Marked as answer by junkew Friday, May 26, 2017 4:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by junkew Friday, May 26, 2017 4:29 PM
    Saturday, May 6, 2017 9:37 PM
  • Finally found it out and small example made in AutoIt forums

https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/187334-using-net-libary-with-autoit-possible/?do=findComment&comment=1353264

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:45 AM