Legacy code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all ..

i am trying to upgrade a legacy code which was probably created on visual studio 3 or visual studio 6.0

(as it has iostream.h instead of iostram etc etc)

now  the code is too big to go and change each and every parameter ..

is there a way to upgrade this code to visual studio  2008 or 2005

or any other siltuions.. having 2003 compiler or anything else ..??!!

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:55 AM

All replies

• Il 10/02/2012 07:55, Vidya123 ha scritto:

Hi all ..

i am trying to upgrade a legacy code which was probably created on visual studio 3 or visual studio 6.0

(as it has iostream.h instead of iostram etc etc)

now  the code is too big to go and change each and every parameter ..

is there a way to upgrade this code to visual studio  2008 or 2005

or any other siltuions.. having 2003 compiler or anything else ..??!!

You'll do yourself (and those following you who will have to maintain your code) a favor if you upgrade your old pre-C++98-standard code to C++98/03. VS2005/2008 will help you in this path with errors and warnings.

If you really don't want to touch that code, you could wrap it in a COM component written with the same compiler you used to compile that code, and then reuse this COM component as a "black-box" from a more modern compiler.

(I'm not aware of any automatic tool to convert from VC6's C++ code to C++98/03 code without human intervention.)

Giovanni

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Problem is the code was written by someone else and it has no comments aur manual with it and it is quite a complex code which is based on other legacy softwares too.. so i cannot make heads and tails out of it..

by the way can you tell me how to make this COM component..??

• Edited by Vidya123 Friday, February 10, 2012 10:11 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 10:09 AM
  • Cant we use a visual studio 6.0 compiler along with visual studio 8 and let the code use visual studio 6.0 compiler..??
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:57 AM