none
Filtering results of a datatable RRS feed

• Question

• I cant quite figure out how to limit my results. The following always gives the full database. What am i doing wrong?

Dim strFilter As String

strFilter = "Status = 3 OR Status = 2 OR Status = 1"

Dim DT As New DataTable

DT = Me.CustJobDJobN_DS.JobData

With DT

.Select(strFilter)

End With

'databind the charts

PriorityChart.DataTable = DT

PriorityChart.DataMember = "Priority"

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:53 PM

Answers

• Although you are 'selecting' a couple of rows, you're doing nothing with the result that the Select method returns...

Code Snippet

DataView dataView = yourDataTable.DefaultView
    dataView.RowFilter = "Status = 3 OR Status = 2 Or Status = 1"
    PriorityChart.DataTable = dataView.ToTable()

Notice that you're only limiting the rows in your datatable/dataview.. (And that it's very likely that all rows are fetched from the database.. Not sure if that's really requried)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:43 PM

All replies

• How can we say something sensible if you don't even show the actual command you're using? Which sql-dbms are you using anyway? In SQL Server there is the TOP x keyword that allows you to limit the resultset to the first x rows...
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:34 PM
  •  

I guess i dont quite understand your question.

I did notice a typo, and have repaired it. What you see now is exactly as it is in the program. Which returns all records in a table. The Chart uses "primary" column to create the pie chart. To visually represent the contents of the table.

My problem is that I dont know how to filter DataTable results. I can filter BindingSource but have no idea if i can make the two the same. What you read now is my attempt at filtering the results of a Datatable.  But to be honest I dont even know if i am doing it right. Or what to look for as I am not that familar with this syntax.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Although you are 'selecting' a couple of rows, you're doing nothing with the result that the Select method returns...

Code Snippet

DataView dataView = yourDataTable.DefaultView
    dataView.RowFilter = "Status = 3 OR Status = 2 Or Status = 1"
    PriorityChart.DataTable = dataView.ToTable()

Notice that you're only limiting the rows in your datatable/dataview.. (And that it's very likely that all rows are fetched from the database.. Not sure if that's really requried)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:43 PM