Invalid Column Name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to use the following VB code to add a row to a SQL database, but am getting errors.

Dim connString As String = "Data Source=MYSERVER\MYINSTANCE;Initial Catalog=MYDATABASE;User ID=MYID;Password=MYPASS" Using connection As New SqlConnection(connString) Dim insertStatement As String = "INSERT INTO EmbedPartsExtraction (JobNo, JobName) VALUES (" & strJobNo & "," & "TEST" & ")" Dim insertCommand As New SqlCommand(insertStatement, connection) Try connection.Open() insertCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() connection.Close() Catch ex As SqlException MsgBox("SQL Server error: " & ex.Number & ", " & ex.Message & ", " & ex.GetType.ToString) End Try End Using

I am using SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Express Edition.

The full error is:

SQL Server error: 207, Invalid column name 'TEST'.,

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException

Not sure why it is pulling TEST as the column name when that is the value I am trying to add to the JobName column.  I have also tried using string variables (similar to strJobNo) and it sometimes works and sometimes generates the same error.

I have another database on this same instance that uses similar code with no problems when writing rows to a table.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Dull_Blades,

I think you should add single quotes for the value TEST. You can try:

Dim insertStatement As String = "INSERT INTO EmbedPartsExtraction (JobNo, JobName) VALUES (" & strJobNo & "," & "'TEST'" & ")"

Best regards,

Chester Hong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Chester Hong Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:36 PM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:22 AM
  • In addition to Chester's suggestion I would also recommend using Command Parameters to avoid the syntax issues and limit exposure to SQL injection:

Dim insertStatement As String = "INSERT INTO EmbedPartsExtraction (JobNo, JobName) VALUES (@JobNum, @JobName)"

Dim insertCommand As New SqlCommand(insertStatement, connection)
            Dim insertCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@JobNum", strJobNo)
            Dim insertCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@JobName", "TEST")

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Dull_Blades,

I think you should add single quotes for the value TEST. You can try:

Dim insertStatement As String = "INSERT INTO EmbedPartsExtraction (JobNo, JobName) VALUES (" & strJobNo & "," & "'TEST'" & ")"

Best regards,

Chester Hong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:22 AM
  • In addition to Chester's suggestion I would also recommend using Command Parameters to avoid the syntax issues and limit exposure to SQL injection:

Dim insertStatement As String = "INSERT INTO EmbedPartsExtraction (JobNo, JobName) VALUES (@JobNum, @JobName)"

Dim insertCommand As New SqlCommand(insertStatement, connection)
            Dim insertCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@JobNum", strJobNo)
            Dim insertCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@JobName", "TEST")

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:53 PM