none
Visual Studio 2008 Database access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have been working on a project over the last couple of months, designing a POS system. The system needs to access, read and write to a database that i created using Microsoft Access 2007.

The application does what it is supposed to on my machine that obviously has Access 2007 installed on it, however, I sent the POS system to my dad to beta test it for me, he did not have Access installed on his machine and the application could not access the database and subsequently did not work.

I want to know if there is a program, driver, code etc that I use to allow my POS to access the accdb file without having Access 2007 installed as this will be a pain for my customers to install/download/buy on top of the POS system.

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

• Moved by Konrad Neitzel Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:40 PM Question regarding oledb provider (Access Runtime) (From:Developer Documentation and Help System)
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

to use a MS Access database, either MS Access or the Access Runtime must be installed. The Access 2007 Runtime can be downloaded for free at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4438

With kind regards,

Konrad

Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:06 PM
  • Thank you Konrad, that was exactly the answer I was looking for. I saw the runtime before posting here, but it wasn't clear if it would work. So thank you :)
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:49 PM
  • I am glad that I was able to help you.

I will move this thread to the ADO.Net Managed Providers Forum, where this is more on topic (this forum covers the developer documentation and help system).

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel

Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Thanks again, wasn't sure in what topic i should post my question, so just took a guess at it hehe.

I do have a second question though.

Within my VB Application I have 2 projects, which is the main application and the setup developement project. What I would like to do is set the Access Runtime to automatically install on the users computer when they install the POS. Is there an easy way to do this? Or would it be easier to just include the runtime in the setup for the end user to install manually?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:30 PM