none
COM ports order issue of the PLUG & PLAY driver which works in 64-bits Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Plug & Play driver for intelligent PCI card which works in 32-bits and 64-bits Windows. It is built in WDK 7600.16385.1.

The intelligent PCI card connects to several asynchronous/synchronous serial ports like RS232 or RS422.

The driver allows Windows distribute the COM ports for these serial ports. Its can be found in device manager (Ports COM branch).

At the device manager (Ports COM branch), the COM ports are arranged consecutively in 32-bits Win 7, but non-consecutively in 64-bits Win 7 and 64-bits Server 2008.

Does it exist a difference about COM ports display order between 32-bits Win and 64-bits Win?

Is it a windows compatibility problem between 32-bits and 64-bits?

Thanks in advance.

Support Acksys

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:25 PM

All replies

• By consecutively do you mean the ports on your board are A, B, C and become COM2, COM3, COM4 or are you saying something else?   The ports should be numbered consistantly once the relationships are defined, but before that it really is dependant on the order the device interfaces are activated and the timing of the components in the system.

I never assume that a card with ports labeled A, B and C will provide the COMn names in the same order.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:32 PM
  • Are you enumerating all of the ports at once? If so, the order is undefined in terms of which is installed first, no matter 32 or 64 bit windows. Look in setupapi.dev.log for more info

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

This is a card with ports labeled port1, port2,port3...The card provide the COMn names such as:

port1 --> COM2

port2 --> COM3

port3 --> COM4

...(The relationship between port and COMn is defined well.)

But in the device manager of 64-bits windows, they are arranged like:

COM4

COM5

COM3

..(the display order is non-consecutive.)

In 32-bits windows they look like :

COM3

COM4

COM5

...(the display order is consecutive.)

The relationship between port and COMn is good. Only the display in the device manager is non-consecutive.

I wish you understand better my question.

Support Acksys

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Are you enumerating all of the ports at once? If so, the order is undefined in terms of which is installed first, no matter 32 or 64 bit windows. Look in setupapi.dev.log for more info

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thank you for the reply.

I enumerate all of the ports at once. The relationship between ports et COMn is defined well. Only the display COMn arrangement is non-consecutive in the device manager of 64-bits Windows.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Did you look at setupapi.dev.log?

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Did you look at setupapi.dev.log?

Yes, I've seen setupapi.dev.log. And I've compared it with the same file in 32-bits Windows 7. Nothing special. 

In your opinion, what kind of message I could expect to show my problem in this file, a warning, an error ?

Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:41 AM
  • In what order do the ports appear in the log compared to how you reported them in both the ordered and misordered cases?

Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:01 PM
  • More specifically, is the problem that the UI is not in sorted order? Or more fundamentally that the wrong name and symlink is being assigned to the device?

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:59 AM
  • More specifically, is the problem that the UI is not in sorted order? Or more fundamentally that the wrong name and symlink is being assigned to the device?

It is the UI that is not in sorted order! The name and symlink to the device are alright.

For your last question, I've compared the COMn order in log file between win7-32 (good case) and win7-64(bad case). These two orders are non-consecutive in the log file.

So I have to say maybe it's the UI problem between 32-bits and 64-bits. 

Friday, September 27, 2013 9:09 AM

Hello,

Do you understand better my problem? If you have any question, I am free to respond. I would like to know your opinion.

Is there a numerator in the Windows (maybe in device manager) for arranging the driver order?

Thank you.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 2:08 PM
  • By consecutively do you mean the ports on your board are A, B, C and become COM2, COM3, COM4 or are you saying something else?   The ports should be numbered consistantly once the relationships are defined, but before that it really is dependant on the order the device interfaces are activated and the timing of the components in the system.

I never assume that a card with ports labeled A, B and C will provide the COMn names in the same order.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

Hello,

You could find more information from the following responses to help you understand well my problem.If you have any question, I am always available to respond. I'd like to know your opinion.

Is there a numerator in the Windows (maybe in device manager) for arranging the driver order? How it works in the 32-bits window 7 and 64-bits windows 7 ?

Thank you.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 2:14 PM