none
Securing a X509Certificate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I need to make sure that only a certain assembly has access to a specific certificate.
    Is CAS the way to go or there is a simpler option?
    In case it is CAS how do I do to deny access to this certificate to any other assembly?
    Also I didnt find the granularity of a certificate, the most granular is X509  Store and it doesnt refer to one specific store it refers to all the stores.
    Any help with this is more than welcomed.

Regards,
    Federico Benitez
    My blog
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I just mean that there is no 100% safe encryption methods, so, contrasting with the best encrytion algorithm, we'd better choose the one that enough for us.
    By set up NTFS security, you may set access permissions of a file to limit who can read/write it.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Please remember to mark helpful replies as answers and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:08 AM

All replies

• Anyone?
    Federico Benitez
    My blog
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Hi,
    CAS cannot help for your case, you may want to embed the file into your assembly, or decrypt before read and encrypt after save, re-read the business goal may help you to find better way.
    However, we cannot 100% prevent other from accessing physical files, the file can be read or modified by other hack tools.

Thanks,
    Eric

Please remember to mark helpful replies as answers and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:44 AM
  • Hi eryang,
    Thanks for your response.

So you are saying that basically there is no secure way of protecting a Private key in the file system?

Thanks,
    Federico
    Federico Benitez
    My blog
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Hi,
    I just mean that there is no 100% safe encryption methods, so, contrasting with the best encrytion algorithm, we'd better choose the one that enough for us.
    By set up NTFS security, you may set access permissions of a file to limit who can read/write it.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:08 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for you help.

Regards,

Federico Benitez
    My blog
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:17 AM