Should I use Microsoft Enterprise Library RRS feed

• Question

• User-1097933300 posted

Hi everyone,

I need to know if it is advantageous to use Microsoft Enterprise Library. I'm gonna use it mainly for it's Data Access Application Blocks. My web application needs to access 3 SQL Server (only) databases, one of which for almost all database accesses and the other two at specific points of a process.

I also want to know how the enterprise library handles the connection to the database, i.e. does it automatically open and close the connection by using the DatabaseFactory.CreateDatabase method and a dataset to be filled with the results? Does it handle the multiple simultaneous database accesses?

what is the difference between using DAAB and old fashion open connection- execute command - close connection In terms of performance and load of database connections?

Thank you so much for your help in advance 

Monday, October 18, 2010 4:30 AM

Answers

• User-504499122 posted

I think you should use the Enterprise library. The main reason we use is, so we do not have to duplicate the code and also the trust we have in it, because it has gone through the critical eye of a bigger audience (Patterns and Practices developers and general public developers). Also, it gives a uniformity across our applications, so each app wouldnt have its own database access code. But, this article explains the reasons much better than I do.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff664416%28v=PandP.50%29.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:01 PM

All replies

• User902066765 posted

Hi,

Its good to use the precompiled clsses for database operations. It cut downs a lot of overhead

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:17 AM
  • User-1097933300 posted

Thanks for your reply,

Still ambiguous!

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:53 AM
  • User-1097933300 posted

Any other explanations?!!!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:43 AM
  • User-504499122 posted

I think you should use the Enterprise library. The main reason we use is, so we do not have to duplicate the code and also the trust we have in it, because it has gone through the critical eye of a bigger audience (Patterns and Practices developers and general public developers). Also, it gives a uniformity across our applications, so each app wouldnt have its own database access code. But, this article explains the reasons much better than I do.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff664416%28v=PandP.50%29.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:01 PM