none
Reference a word in another Location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I need to have a table (or what ever it is recomended) that contains names (Like: names of my servers) then with-in this document i will be using the server name alot story short once i change the value i'd like to get changed in all of the document

I am doing this so that in my table i have 2 column , CELL (1,1) is the name if the standard NTServer name , CELL (1,2) is the same name that will be changed once the customer gets the document and change it to its own NTServer name , once changed, i want the document to change in all pages with the new name.

I do not want to use find and replace

thank you

Sincerely SH -- MVP, MCITP 2008, MCTS 2008 & 2005 -- Please kindly mark the post(s) that answered your question and/or vote for the post(s).
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Nik,

Would a Stye Reference field work for you? You could setup a unique style name for each table cell and reference it later in the document. When the user fills in the value of the table, the remainder of the document is customized.

{STYLEREF ServerName \ * MERGEFORMAT}

Regards

Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Nik,

Would a Stye Reference field work for you? You could setup a unique style name for each table cell and reference it later in the document. When the user fills in the value of the table, the remainder of the document is customized.

{STYLEREF ServerName \ * MERGEFORMAT}

Regards

Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:55 PM
  • I think it will work, i jhave to test it

do you have a link or can you email me a sampe ?

Snikkhah@live.ca

thanks

Sincerely SH -- MVP, MCITP 2008, MCTS 2008 & 2005 -- Please kindly mark the post(s) that answered your question and/or vote for the post(s).
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Hi Nik,

I'll make up a sample for you and send it.

Regards
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Hi Nik,

I've emailed the sample. It looks like this.

Server Name

Model Number

Dell E08SB

Your Dell E08SB model number 1234 is the best on the market.

The cell containing the server name I gave a paragraph style of ServerName and the model number cell I gave a paragraph style name of ServerModel. When you run the command ActiveDocument.Fields.Update all fields will populate throughout the document.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:15 PM
  • The cell containing the server name I gave a paragraph style of ServerName

How did you do that ????

Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Hi i found out how

thanks for everything

Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:06 PM
  • You are welcome.

Glad to have helped.

Regards
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:35 PM