Trying to update my app that was installed from the app store - "The app needs to be repaired"

Question

• I'm trying to make some changes to my "Elements Weather Forecast" app and as I try to deploy the new version from the Visual Studio, app store pops up, telling me that "the app needs to be repaired", choosing "repair" reinstalls the app from the store, choosing cancel does nothing, I can't run and debug updated version of the app.

Changing the package name seems to take care of the problem. Is there another way to solve it?

Sunday, March 4, 2012 1:17 AM

Answers

• No, because you have an app that is already installed and already using that package ID name, you'll face this.  For development you'll want to use the technique you are doing (or UNINSTALL the original app).  My assumption is you want the "real" app to still be installed while working on the vNext. 

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)

• Marked as answer by Bob_Bao Monday, April 9, 2012 7:15 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Tim,

Thank you for the reply. Uninstalling the original app doesn't work. I still get this pop-up when VS tries to deploy the newly built application. If I create a package for store submission - I can install it no problem though.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:38 PM

All replies

• No, because you have an app that is already installed and already using that package ID name, you'll face this.  For development you'll want to use the technique you are doing (or UNINSTALL the original app).  My assumption is you want the "real" app to still be installed while working on the vNext. 

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)

Monday, March 5, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Tim,

Thank you for the reply. Uninstalling the original app doesn't work. I still get this pop-up when VS tries to deploy the newly built application. If I create a package for store submission - I can install it no problem though.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:38 PM