Install of hotfix KB948109 fails with error 29506 RRS feed

• Question

• Log says permission error, but I'm in as a domain/admin with was used to install sql.

Here's log:

Time: 07/13/2008 18:57:06.054
    KB Number: KB948109
    Machine: WAVSRV02A
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, Standard Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 3790)
    Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
    Package Platform: x64
    Package SP Level: 2
    Package Version: 3068
    Command-line parameters specified:
    Cluster Installation: No

**********************************************************************************
    Prerequisites Check & Status
    SQLSupport: Passed

**********************************************************************************
    Products Detected                         Language  Level  Patch Level       Platform  Edition
    SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSQLSERVER)  ENU       SP2    2005.090.3054.00  x64       STANDARD
    SQL Server Tools and Workstation Components 2005  ENU       SP2           9.2.3068  x64       STANDARD

Products Disqualified & Reason
    Product                                   Reason

Processes Locking Files
    Process Name          Feature               Type          User Name                  PID

Product Installation Status
    Product                   : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSQLSERVER)
    Product Version (Previous): 3054
    Product Version (Final)   :
    Status                    : Failure
    Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
    Error Number              : 29506
    Error Description         : MSP Error: 29506  SQL Server Setup failed to modify security permissions on file e:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ for user administrator. To proceed, verify that the account and domain running SQL Server Setup exist, that the account running SQL Server Setup has administrator privileges, and that  exists on the destination drive.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product                   : SQL Server Tools and Workstation Components 2005
    Product Version (Previous): 3068
    Status                    : Not Selected
    Log File                  :
    Error Description         :
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
         One or more products failed to install, see above for details
         Exit Code Returned: 29506

Sunday, July 13, 2008 11:09 PM

Answers

•  

For backup exec go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Setup" and set the value resume from a 1 to a zero and re apply patch.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 6:25 PM

All replies

• Ensure that login with which you install have modify permissions to the folder containing database files,
    e:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\. Provide the permissions and try installing again..

- Deepak
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 11:44 PM
  • I checked the folder in question which was owned by the local administators group.  I was in as domain/administrator so I should have been ok, however I granted full to the user explicitly as well.  Same behavior when I ran the patch.

Thanks much.

Monday, July 14, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Nice Fix Deepak

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Atlast found solution!!!

When you face this problem, the first thing you have to do is to go through the latest log file Summary.txt under the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\ and search for any failures (Status : Failure). We can solve the issue directly from this log file.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·        <!--[endif]-->Your Case:

Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_sql.msp.log

Error Description         : MSP Error: 29506  SQL Server Setup failed to modify security permissions on file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ for user Administrator. To proceed, verify that the account and domain running SQL Server Setup exist, that the account running SQL Server Setup has administrator privileges, and that  exists on the destination drive.

Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the following changes. Login to management studio for the default instance(MSSQLSERVER) and have a look at what all database we are having. We should not have any other file other than database, certificates under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\. Try moving all the files under this directory to a temp folder. Leave the files which are in use. It moved around 10 files which are not in use in my case. Also assign Full permission to the logged in user to this folder. Start the installation and choose the default instance. It should be successful.

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:22 PM
  •  

Morning, All

I am having similar issues with the above update mine is pointing.backup exec instance I have run the repair as suggested but it is looking for sqlrun_sql.msi, I have found the sqlrun_sql.msi by running a search but it does relate to the backupexec instalalation so I can't complete the update here is my error log.

Time: 07/28/2008 09:37:54.968
    KB Number: KB948109
    Machine: LANDSERV
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, Service Pack 2 (Build 3790)
    Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
    Package Platform: x86
    Package SP Level: 2
    Package Version: 3068
    Command-line parameters specified:
    Cluster Installation: No

Prerequisites Check & Status
    SQLSupport: Passed

Products Detected                         Language  Level  Patch Level       Platform  Edition
    SQL Server Database Services 2005 (BKUPEXEC)  ENU       SP2    2005.090.3042.00  x86       EXPRESS
    SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSQLSERVER)  ENU       SP2    2005.090.3068.00  x86       EXPRESS_ADVANCED
    SQL Server Tools and Workstation Components 2005  ENU       SP2           9.2.3068  x86       EXPRESS_ADVANCED

Products Disqualified & Reason
    Product                                   Reason

Processes Locking Files
    Process Name          Feature               Type          User Name                  PID

Product                   : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (BKUPEXEC)
    Product Version (Previous): 3042
    SQL Express Features      :
    Error Number              : 29565
    Error Description         : MSP Error: 29565  SQL Server Setup cannot upgrade the specified instance because the previous upgrade did not complete. Start the Remote Registry service and go to Add/Remove Programs, select the Change button for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then select SQL instance BKUPEXEC and complete the setup.
    Error Number              : 0
    Product                   : SQL Server Tools and Workstation Components 2005

Summary
         One or more products failed to install, see above for details
         Exit Code Returned: 29565

I would appreacite if anyone could help.

I have repair the installation of backup exe 11d as this uses the sql express instanace.

Thanks

Regards

Monday, July 28, 2008 10:11 AM
  •  

If you get an error installing this update, check the following log file:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix\Hotfix_0

(this path will be different depending on where you installed SQL, and the file name will be different depending on how many times you have attempted the install)

If this file contains the error mentioned above, you have a permissions problem:

Error Description         : MSP Error: 29506  SQL Server Setup failed to modify security permissions on file e:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ for user administrator. To proceed, verify that the account and domain running SQL Server Setup exist, that the account running SQL Server Setup has administrator privileges, and that  exists on the destination drive.

When you look at the folder (in this case "e:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\") that is reported as having the wrong permissions, you will find nothing wrong.  However, if you check the permissions on the files contained within this folder, you will find some that do not have the same permissions as the parent folder.  I'm not sure why this happens, but you can resolve the issue by reapplying the permissions on the parent folder, making sure you check the "Replace permission entries on child objects..." option within the advanced security dialog box.

Once the permissions have been applied, the update should install.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:50 PM
  • I give Peter the gold star!

This put the last nail in the coffin on this problem for me. At least on one system. Getting the programmer off his system long enough to bang my head on it was the other hard part. Now I get to do this to the rest of the computers it failed on.

Two of the files in the Data directory had mangled permissions - not the one the error is on. When I took ownership (to the same owner on the other files) an account that was disabled on the domain popped into the basic security window as the only user with rights. I took screen shots but there is no place to put them here easilly.

Once I propagated the file permissions onto the files in question and stopped the data base in the managment console (only need to do this if you want to avoid a reboot) the patch took about half an hour to install. I was using a local instance of the patch file, SQLServer2005-KB948109-x86-ENU.exe. All thoughout the install the progress bar sticks at about 1/3 and it took about 30 minutes to apply....lots of disk IO.

One note, once I knew what to look for, I found AccessEnum from the SysInternals useful in finding my files with managled permissions. I only wish it showed file owner in addition to Rights on files.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:36 PM
  • I had the same problem.  Any idea on how permissions got "manageled"?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:46 PM
  • For me, no, I would probably chock it up to the entropy that occurs on systems that are heavily used and not reloaded between users. I can guess that the person whose account appeared did the initial install a few years ago. I took over Network support in the last month. Reloading is annoying on the front end, but it is much less anoying than fixing stuff like this on the back end.

I'm just glad the fix may be realitivly simple, labor intensive and annoying, but simple. I'll find out later if I can apply the same method to the other 4 machines people have complained about

I did take screen shots as I went, but I'm going to get some sleep before I deal with trying to post them.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:00 PM
  •  

For backup exec go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Setup" and set the value resume from a 1 to a zero and re apply patch.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Thanks Keotik,

I've been pulling my hair out till you provided me with this simple fix. You would think Microsoft would have checked to see if anyone was running the BU Exec install of sql 5 in their update.
    Monday, August 11, 2008 5:06 PM
  • Some more cases which you may face......
    Case 2:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product                   : SQL Server Database Services 2005
    (SQLEXPRESS)
    Product Version (Previous): 3042
    Product Version (Final)   :
    Status                    : Failure
    Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
    \90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
    SQL Express Features      :
    Error Number              : 1646
                                                                    Error
    Description         : Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file

Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the
    following changes. In the registry editor, go through the following
    key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\7DDFFFA258DE09A4C825D59ABECDB9F8
    and search for Uninstallable key. Change the value to 1 if it is 0.
    Reinstall the patch and it should be successful now.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:25 AM
  • Case 3:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product                   : SQL Server Database Services 2005
    (MSSQLSERVER)
    Product Version (Final)   :
    Status                    : Failure
    Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
    \90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
    Error Number              : 29538
    Error Description         : MSP Error: 29538  SQL Server Setup did not
    have the administrator permissions required to rename a file: C:
    \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\distmdl1.ldf.
    To continue, verify that the file exists, and either grant
    administrator permissions to the account currently running Setup or

Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the
    following changes. Verify that distmdl.ldf and distmdl.mdf files are
    present under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data
    \ and grant administrator permissions for these files to the logged in
    account.

Please feel free to contact me if you face similar kind of issues.

Note: Please refer my previous posts for other cases which I have faced
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:28 AM
  •  

This is the error that I get. 

Error Number              : 29538
    Error Description         : MSP Error: 29538  SQL Server Setup did not have the administrator permissions required to rename a file: S:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\distmdl1.ldf. To continue, verify that the file exists, and either grant administrator permissions to the account currently running Setup or log in with an administrator account. Then run SQL Server Setup again.

There is no file in this location by that name.  Suggestions?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Which file do you not have, this one?

S:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\distmdl1.ldf.

This looks like a file located on a network share unless you have been monkeying around changing drive letters.

If you look under computer management for the computer, do you have an entry for SQL Server something? Im not looking at it right now and I cant remember the exact name? it should be in the section with WMI and Services. That is where the information is coming from for the instances which need upgrading.

Since the local server is located on your boot drive, you should also check that path too, C: instead of S:

Also, just because you have permissions does not necessitate that the file has the correct permissions, that Is why I was suggesting above that you use AccessEnum from SystemInternals on Technet to locate the files. Make sure to turn on the option for perms that are different, which is not the default. Then scan  \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\   for the messed up files. When I ran into this permissions error I was running as a Domain Admin, so your permissions are not the issue, but instead those on the file are.

I also had to take ownership, and I took it to Adminitrators, not my login so the problem shouldnt happen again. If it does the system is getting reloaded. Once ownership was taken I was able to propigate the permissions. then the update worked.

It was different files in the data directory from the one the patch complained about on the systems which had this problem. Once the perms were pushed, the SQL Server manager was able to stop the DB's which I recomend doing prior to installing the patch unless you like rebooting. If the SQL insntance is located on a network share, you should stop them because the share wont be up when the service starts during reboot and patch application otherwise.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 11:57 AM
  • Thank you Keyotik,

This did the trick, I appreciate you spend time looking though these formuns to reslove our issues.

Kind Regards

Alan Richardson

Monday, August 18, 2008 8:27 AM
  • We had exactly the same error with this patch, although I think the cause was different. Box was Windows 2003 and SQL 2005 64 bit. Ours turned out to be having a mount point directories below the Data directory for 3 large databases. Had to unmount the data directories for Data and Logs, which obviously made those 3 databases fail, then re-applied the patch successfully then reattached the mount points and restarted SQL. I think we had a similar problem with SP2 as well from memory and I have seen others with the same. I think the mount points make the SP fail to set ACL's correctly and the patch rolls back. Not sure if this has any negative effect on those 3 databases, but without doing this SQL will not start as the patch failing stopped SQL restarting and the only way we could fix that was to get the fix successfully applied.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:21 AM
  • Hi,
    Please look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916766/en

Monday, August 25, 2008 7:29 AM