none
Report parameter keeps changing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We have a report parameter defined. The Hidden and Allow blank value check boxes are checked and a default value is specified. If I click OK and save it and then reopen it, the Null checkbox under the Default values line is checked and the default value is grayed out. If I then click OK again without clearing the Null checkbox, our Default value is lost. Below is the xml.

<ReportParameters>
        <ReportParameter Name="IssuedDateStart">
          <DataType>DateTime</DataType>
          <AllowBlank>true</AllowBlank>
          <Prompt>Report_Parameter_1</Prompt>
        </ReportParameter>
        <ReportParameter Name="IssuedDateEnd">
          <DataType>DateTime</DataType>
          <Prompt>Report_Parameter_2</Prompt>
        </ReportParameter>
        <ReportParameter Name="CollName">
          <DataType>String</DataType>
          <DefaultValue>
            <Values>
              <Value>ReportTestReport</Value>
            </Values>
          </DefaultValue>
          <Prompt>Report_Parameter_0</Prompt>
          <Hidden>true</Hidden>
        </ReportParameter>
      </ReportParameters>

Can someone explain to me what is happening? Thanks in advance for any ideas and/or suggestions!
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:20 PM

All replies

• Hi j2associates,

You are probably encountering a bug related to the state setting of the parameter in an older version of the product. I cannot reproduce this behavior in the latest version for 2010.
    Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 5:48 PM
  • Hello Brad Syputa,

Thanks for the response. Does that mean you were able to reproduce it in VS2008 or that you didn't try to reproduce it in VS2008?
    Friday, March 5, 2010 6:00 PM
  • The behavior you are seeing is in the 2005 version and was probably a bug in checkbox state logic.

The 2008 and 2010 both have changed enough that this behavior no longer exists.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:46 AM
  • Hello Brad,

The report in question was developed entirely with Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 on a Windows XP Pro machine.

Here are the report parameter definitions. The first 2 shouldn't matter since we allow Null for them but are included in case someone should notice something.

The last parameter is the problem child. The behavior I described above seems to happen any time you open up the Report Parameters dialog, regardless of the parameter being edited.

On first save

On next Report Parameter dialog activity - Note the Null but grayed out default value

On next Report Parameter dialog activity if above Null was not cleared before saving - note missing default value

This is really annoying because we have a 3rd party dll that automatically creates reports and everything falls apart if the default value is cleared as shown above. And that does happen unless you remember to go to that parameter and clear the Null check box every time you open the Report Parameters dialog.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and/or suggestions!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Hello,

I have narrowed this nasty bug down a little bit. If any parameter is flagged as Null, the behavior described above kicks in for any other parameters the developer should happen to click on while the dialog is open. If the Null check box is not cleared for the other parameters so clicked, the default value property is lost when the Report Parameters dialog is saved.

I have posted this on Connect as
    Nasty Report Parameter Default Value bug: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/540603/nasty-report-parameter-default-value-bug#

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:55 PM