HTTP Error 503 in One Folder RRS feed

• Question

• User-1931900051 posted

I have an ASP.Net web application running on Windows Server 2008 R2 with IIS 7. A few weeks ago, something happened to the server, and now some of the pages on my web site will not function. Some of the functionality of the web application is working properly--the users are able to log into the application (the login data is stored in an SQL Server database). Browsing to some pages, however will show a white page showing "HTTP Error 503: The service is unavailable."

The web project was compiled using .Net Framework 3.5. The IIS application pool on the server uses .Net Framework v2.0 with an Integrated pipeline.

What I have noticed is that the pages causing the 503 error are all in a folder called Reports. I compared the permissions on the Reports folder in IIS with one I know to be working, but they appear to be the same.

I have tried adding new pages to the Reports folder, and they get the same error. I've copied pages where I know I was getting the errors from Reports to a different folder, and they worked fine in the other folder. I copied the entire Reports folder to a folder called Reporting--the pages can run from the Reporting URL.

I tried deleting the Reports folder and re-creating it, but I still get the 503 error. I tried setting up Reports a virtual directory pointing to my Reporting folder, still the 503.

Worst case, I could start using the folder called Reporting, but I would need to change all my links to various pages in that folder.

Any thoughts on how to get this one folder working again?

Sunday, September 10, 2017 9:29 PM

Answers

• User1771544211 posted

Hi Pizzor2000,

Please check if there are any error logs in the Event Viewer, view the System log to find errors from the Microsoft-Windows-WAS source.

Pizzor2000

A few weeks ago, something happened to the server, and now some of the pages on my web site will not function.

Could you please share what configuration do you set on the server?

In your condition, the 503 error only happens with the "Reports" folder, what make me think of that this issue could be caused by some configuration settings that you set on the IIS or the Windows Server.

Do you use reverse proxy? If so, please check if you have any rules that match the "Reports".

Do you use IIS URL Rewrite? If so, please check if you have any rules that match the "Reports".

Another possible reason is that the SQL Reporting Services was installed in that server with PORT 80.

When you call http://localhost/Reports, it was calling the SSRS reports folder and not your application "Reports" folder. So insted of calling your Reports folder it was calling the Reports folder of SSRS.

Best Regards,

Jean 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 2:00 AM

All replies

• User1771544211 posted

Hi Pizzor2000,

Please check if there are any error logs in the Event Viewer, view the System log to find errors from the Microsoft-Windows-WAS source.

Pizzor2000

A few weeks ago, something happened to the server, and now some of the pages on my web site will not function.

Could you please share what configuration do you set on the server?

In your condition, the 503 error only happens with the "Reports" folder, what make me think of that this issue could be caused by some configuration settings that you set on the IIS or the Windows Server.

Do you use reverse proxy? If so, please check if you have any rules that match the "Reports".

Do you use IIS URL Rewrite? If so, please check if you have any rules that match the "Reports".

Another possible reason is that the SQL Reporting Services was installed in that server with PORT 80.

When you call http://localhost/Reports, it was calling the SSRS reports folder and not your application "Reports" folder. So insted of calling your Reports folder it was calling the Reports folder of SSRS.

Best Regards,

Jean 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 2:00 AM
  • User-1931900051 posted

It looks like that was it! The SQL Server Reporting Services are never running on this server, but they were tied to Port 80.

https://seankilleen.com/2012/11/how-to-stop-sql-server-reporting-services-from-using-port-80-on-your-server-field-notes/

I started SSRS so I could follow the link above and change its port to 81. After that change, my Reports folder is now accessible again!

Thank you for your help, Jean!

Monday, September 11, 2017 3:13 AM