Can't access on-premise server from VM in Site-to-site virtual network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have configured a Site-to-site virtual network in order to connect our Azure VMs with our partner's on-premise network that hosts some services we need to access.

The virtual network seems to be ok... everything looks ok in the Azure portal and I was able to create a VM in that network without any issues.

I can even ping the on-premises server from the VM with no problem.... The problem is that I cannot access the web services that're hosted in this on-premise server.... I just try to access it by using the URL (using port 8085) and I just get a timeout.

I've configured the VM's firewall with an outbound rule on port 8085.... and I have requested our partner to ensure the port 8085 is accessible from our virtual network private ip range. They have confirmed the port is open as they have even created a loopback in the VPN device to test whether incoming connections from our IP address are allowed.

So, right now, I'd like to know:

1. What can be happening here? What else should I look at?

2. What can I do to diagnose these connectivity issues? How can I find where's the problem now? 

3. Why can I ping the remote on-premises server but when I try to telnet on port 8085 it doesn't work (and the remote 8085 port is open)?

I'd really appreciate any help on this issue!

Thanks,

Rodrigo.

Monday, April 14, 2014 4:38 AM

Answers

• We collected network traces from the Azure VM and from the on premises network. It was determined from these traces that they were using NAT, which is not supported.

• Marked as answer by Bennie Chen Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:45 AM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Susie

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:03 AM
  • Hi Phillip,

I've sent you an e-mail.

Thanks,

Rodrigo.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:27 PM
  • Thanks for the confirmation Rodrigo. I will be following up via e-mail.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

Anything updates?

If the issue has been solved, I would appreciate it if you can share the troubleshooting steps with us so that it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

Best regards,

Susie

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:04 AM
  • We collected network traces from the Azure VM and from the on premises network. It was determined from these traces that they were using NAT, which is not supported.

• Marked as answer by Bennie Chen Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:45 AM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 2:10 AM