Express edition of Visual Studio and accesing .mdf files with no SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• User-326746839 posted

Hi,

1) is there a way of having an "portable express edition" of visual studio ?

2) How can I access a .mdf database file if there is not SQL Server installed?

Sunday, October 6, 2013 12:10 PM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

#1 : You also have http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/editions/2012-editions/compact.aspx but "portable" is too vague (you meant no user visible installation ?). You also have SQLite : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robertgreen/archive/2012/11/13/using-sqlite-in-windows-store-apps.aspx 
    They ship as librairies you just have to copy.

#2 : You can't and this is true as well for all DBMS. The physical file format is something you don't have to deal with. You always have a library that just takes your SQL statements and handles this for you. Even if not SQL you'll almost have a library so that you don't have to know the gory details (and so that it can evolve without having to recode everything). For example even dBase (we are back at 80s) used a format such as http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/format/index.html and was used through libraries....

Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:34 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Thanks for your answer.

Portable means that I need to deploy my app in a PC in which I won't be allowed to install anything; neither will I have any admin privilege. So my answer to this will be a defenitive YES ! No installation at all ! I'll try with SQL Lite.

Is there a light "portable" version of Visual Studio, let's say 2008? 

I'm need to develop a small  ASP.Net library kardex application running in a single computer. It will be a prototype but the computer is under "cloud computing" environment and they have very strict policies regarding software installation. So I need to develop in a "controlled" environment of my own without needing to bother the IT people ....

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Sunday, October 6, 2013 10:06 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Ok so both are installed by just copying a DLL.

For Visual Studio, you always have an admin installation (but I don't see why you would have to install this on the cloud machine, you need this only on the dev machine). Check Express versions. Just in case they have to offer ASP.NET support "out of box" (if you thought you have to install VS on the cloud machine to get ASP.NET support).

Not sure which cloud environment it is, but have you seen what they offer ? It would be really surprising if they don't offer some database support "out of the box"...

Monday, October 7, 2013 4:56 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

If you ask something in this forum it is supposed to get a straight answer to it and you wouldn't expect having someone trying to reformulate what you had been asked .... on their own. That's what I think ... and I don't want to be rude but that's what it is .... a question ... an answer, that's all , isn't it?

I just mentioned the "cloud" thing because I just wanted to go with my explanation a little more deeper ... but just that !

What I'm trying to do in this "migrating process to the cloud" is to start developing a simple system for controlling loans of some magazines and documents ... nothing special BUT the "cloud thing" while is still in process which is taking the 450% TIME OF THE IT PEOPLE wouldn't let the IT guys to be paying attention to my "little request" neither will they allow any newer thing installed on computers that will be replaced shortly ... so theres is a lot of little bourocracy and logistic involved here ...

THAT'S WHY I NEED TO DEVELOP MY APPLICATION WITH "PORTABLE" SOFTWARE .... because in the mid time (2 to 3 months) I will have to be borrowing magazines and documents and I will have to be keeping track of these loans by making annotations in a book (rather old apporach ... I know). pLEASE DON'T SUGGEST AN eXCELLL APPORACH EITHER !!!!!!!

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:02 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Not sure what is unclear. In short :

1) No there is no portable version of "Visual Studio" (and more likely you don't need it as this is dev tool so you don't need somewhere else than on your own development machine, I asumme you do have a better control over your development machine ?)

2) You could perhaps try the "LocalDb" engine which is intended for development. Not sure if intended for production. Also there is no "service running" but I believe it might still require a setup. Else you can use other db engines such as SQL Server Compact or SQLite that don't require any setup (but they don't use the mdf file format)...

If anything is unclear try to be explicit about what is unclear. At some point this is the other way round. For example if they don't have ASP.NET on the server there is nothing you can do.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:53 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Thanks,

I'll just do it with a "portable" version of VFP9 ... not really a big development stuff what I'm trying to achieve. 

VFP9 does both things: code and database ... just for controlling my own little things more expeditelly (if such a word exists at all) ..... that's much better tnah annoying books and/or Excel spreadsheets, isn't it?

BTW ... it will be running in my own machine, not in the network ..... a simple standalone app ..... nothing more than that. I'd rather had done it using ASP.Net Dynamic Data but as it seem impossible ... I'll go this way 

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Friday, October 11, 2013 1:41 AM
  • User753101303 posted

If it's local go for it. The interest of a web app is that it can be used from everywhere else through a browser (a bit confused but if it runs on your own machine you shouldn't have any setup problem. Not familiar with VFP but I believe it does require a setup as well).

Friday, October 11, 2013 4:23 AM