locked
Very slow Azure connect connection! RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello!

    I have a problem with Windows Azure connect being very slow.

    I am trying a very small business application running in a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine. This application is very small(DB files of 2 MB in size). I need to run it using Windows Azure connect as it requires Windows file sharing access from the client to the server and this is blocked for end Points opening using the public endpoints.

    The problem is that it is awfully slow. So I have excluded the business application from the equation in order to try to troubleshoot.

    Some details:

    The relay region in Windows Azure is set to Europé. I have tested a small, medium and large VM config with same slow result.

    There is no domain membership between the client and the server.

    The clients internet connect can recieve files at 28Mbit/s and send with 3.50 Mbit/s(I have also test on a 100/100 Mbit Connection)

    The Azure server measures in speed tests against internet with speeds recieve 52Mbit/s send 150 Mbit/s.

    The above statistics are measured against the same geografical location.

    Ping statistics from client to server:

        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 84ms, Average = 76ms

    Ping statistics from server to client:

        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 74ms, Maximum = 199ms, Average = 117ms

    If i try to do a file transfer between the server(150 Mbit/s send capability) and the client (28Mbit/recieve capability). It takes well more than 10 minutes. The speed I get is 355kb/s(at least what is reported in the Windows copy information and it seems to corresponds to the time it takes. The speed is not fluctuating either but reports 355kb/s all the time.

    Ok that there is some overhead running IPsec Connection with Windows azure connect but the overhead here is represents in the region of 10-15 times slower than the available bandwith. Moreover there is no difference in speed if I transfer from client to server or server to client although the available bandwith is very different.

    For name resolution I have entries for the IP6 addresses in the host files on both Machines.

    Anyone have an idea on what is wrong here? Anything I haven't checked that could wrong on my system, name resolution etc?

    Is Windows Azure connect meant to have this amount of overhead? I which case it is unusable in my opinion ok it adds a IPsec connection but it is so slow you cannot use it to send\recieve data. I am hoping someone knows how to speed it up. If found some registry entries that Controls behaviour but I do not know what they do as I haven't found any documentation so haven't tested making changes.

    Would be very grateful for any input help you could give me.

    Saturday, March 9, 2013 5:49 AM

Answers

  • Hi,

    Would you like to use ping command:  ping <name or ip> -6 to assign IP address and see if works.

    Base on my understanding, if you try to use "ping name" instead of "ping IP", the DNS server need take some times to analysis and convert name to ip address.

    Hope this helps.


    Friday, March 15, 2013 8:46 AM

All replies

  • Anyone having any idea about this issue? Is this a common issue using using Windows Azure connect? I/E one cannot expect any applications with connection using Azure connect as it can only perform in with this speed?
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

    Would you like to use ping command:  ping <name or ip> -6 to assign IP address and see if works.

    Base on my understanding, if you try to use "ping name" instead of "ping IP", the DNS server need take some times to analysis and convert name to ip address.

    Hope this helps.


    Friday, March 15, 2013 8:46 AM
  • I'm experiencing similar issues, downloads from downloads.microsoft.com running very slow. I'm trying to download SQL Server to a Virtual Machine. it started off at 11am running at several MB/sec and at 18:40 pm the 4gb file is only 68% complete and says it's downloading a 589 KB/sec. it's been reporting that it will take 40minutes for about 6hrs now. Speed Tests are showing 300MB down and 40mb up

    I've transferred a 1GB file over the VPN which took a few minutes.


    Mark Masiak Infologic.uk.com

    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:45 PM