none
Can GZIP compression be used when sending mail via EAS? RRS feed

Answers

• Oregon Guy,

The Open Specifications Documentation only supports versions 12.1 to current.

For those versions, yes, gzip is an acceptable encoding.

Other verisons (older) are not supported by our document set.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Hi dipen.87, since I have not seen a reply on the forums or an e-mail containing the trace files requested I will assume that you no longer need assistance with this. If that is not the case please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:59 PM

All replies

• Guy,

Thank you for your question. One of our engineers will look into this and follow-up with you soon.

Regards,

Edgar

Monday, April 18, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Oregon Guy,

I am the engineer who has taken ownership of your issue. I am currently investigating your request and will update you shortly regarding this information.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Oregon Guy,

GZip compression can be used in EAS Communications.

Please review Section 2.2.2.1.2 of [MS-ASHTTP].

• Proposed as answer by King Salemno Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Oregon Guy Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:02 PM
  • The referenced document only refers to communications sent by the server; my question related to data sent to the server.  Thanks.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Oregon Guy,

Exchange ActiveSync communications is initiated from the client, and not from the server. The fundamentals of EAS
    is a client issues a 'Request' via an HTTP POST against the server. The server then responds via a 'Response' packet.

Thus continues the conversion, always starting with the client.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Let me try again.  In my HTTP POST using SendMail, can the content itself be gzip encoded?  In other words, do all ActiveSync servers accept POST data that is compressed?
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Oregon Guy,

The Open Specifications Documentation only supports versions 12.1 to current.

For those versions, yes, gzip is an acceptable encoding.

Other verisons (older) are not supported by our document set.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Sending content-encoding as gzip in request of sendmail command is not working as mentioned above.

Server sends 102 status code meaning InvalidWBXML. I am sending proper wbxml which can be decoded properly by eas inspector in fiddler. Looks like server is not honouring content-encoding header and is trying to read content without gzip decompression.

Sample request 

POST https://exc.blrmpg2.net/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=SendMail&User=blrmpg2%5Ckrishna&DeviceId=workmailc1738478075&DeviceType=LGENEXUS5 HTTP/1.1
    Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-sync.wbxml
    Authorization: Basic *****************
    MS-ASProtocolVersion: 14.1
    User-Agent: WorxMail/9.1.1 (LGENEXUS5; 4.4.4)
    Accept-Encoding: gzip
    X-MS-PolicyKey: 1631420551
    Content-Encoding: gzip
    Content-Length: 411
    Host: exc.blrmpg2.net
    Connection: Keep-Alive

�����������n�0Fmd)h��B�_�,�B�$2ha�k@˴M��T�ʱ:���b��v)P \�C~�^^MO����/Wk�v+���$+�,O�4M����痟��Y ���@Úu�Q
    QT&�2��c�%����

Response WBXML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <composemail:SendMail xmlns:composemail="ComposeMail:">
      <composemail:Status>102</composemail:Status>
    </composemail:SendMail>

Eas logs from OWA

-----------------
     Log Entry: 9
    -----------------

Command_WorkerThread_Exception : 
    --- Exception start ---
    Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Wbxml.WbxmlException
    Exception message: Unsupported Wbxml version
    Exception level: 0
    Exception stack trace:    at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Wbxml.WbxmlReader.ReadHeader()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Wbxml.WbxmlReader.ReadXmlDocument()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.AirSyncRequest.Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.IAirSyncRequest.LoadRequestDocument()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.AirSyncRequest.Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.IAirSyncRequest.get_XmlDocument()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.AirSyncRequest.Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.IAirSyncRequest.get_CommandXml()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Command.WorkerThread()
    --- Exception end ---

AccessState : 
    Allowed

AccessStateReason : 
    Global

ResponseHeader : 
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK

ResponseBody : 
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <SendMail xmlns="ComposeMail:">
    <Status>102</Status>
    </SendMail>

ResponseTime : 
    09/02/2014 10:14:50

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 6:13 AM
  • Hi Krishnakumar11,

Thank you for your question. A member of the Protocol Documentation support team will respond to you soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 3:54 PM
  • Hi Krishnakumar11,

I am researching your issue and will follow up with you soon.

Regards,

Mark Miller | Microsoft Open Specifications Team

Monday, September 8, 2014 1:41 PM
  • Hi Krishnakumar11, I have taken over this issue and have been looking at the information that you provided. Would you be able to also provide we with a Fiddler trace of the request and response? You can send that to me at dochelp(at)microsoft(dot)com and reference this thread.

Thank you.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Hi Krishnakumar11, please let me know if you are still working on this issue and are able to provide the Fiddler trace file that I requested previously.

Friday, October 10, 2014 5:11 PM
  • Hi Krishnakumar11, since I have not seen a response or e-mail from you we will consider this issue closed. If you wish to continue working on this in the future and can provide the requested data please let us know.

Thank you.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:16 PM
  • Hi Josh i am getting the same error as krishna kumar. Below is my request 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<SendMail xmlns="ComposeMail">

<ClientId>61103135</ClientId>

<SaveInSentItems />

<Mime>BASE64_STRING_OF_MIME_DATA</Mime>

</SendMail>

Mime Data :

From: xxx@xxx.com To: xxx@xxx.com Subject: hello MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type:text/plain; charset=\"iso-8859-1\" Content-Transfer-Encoding:7bit X-MimeOLE:Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3350 This is the email body content.

Response  :

<SendMail xmlns="ComposeMail">

<Status xmlns="ComposeMail">102</Status>

</SendMail>

Response Header:

"Cache-Control" = private;

"Content-Encoding" = gzip;

"Content-Length" = 142;

"Content-Type" = "application/vnd.ms-sync.wbxml";

Date = "Tue, 10 Feb 2015 12:26:26 GMT";

"MS-Server-ActiveSync" = "15.1";

Server = "Microsoft-IIS/8.0";

Vary = "Accept-Encoding";

"X-AspNet-Version" = "4.0.30319";

"X-BEServer" = BY2PR06MB903;

"X-BackEndHttpStatus" = 200;

"X-CalculatedBETarget" = "BY2PR06MB903.namprd06.prod.outlook.com";

"X-DiagInfo" = BY2PR06MB903;

"X-FEServer" = HKXPR06CA004;

"X-MS-BackOffDuration" = "L/-470";

"X-Powered-By" = "ASP.NET";

"request-id" = "176a5d57-f5a5-433c-b929-f967b13566a2";

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Hi dipen.87,

Thank you for your question. A member of the Protocol Documentation support team will respond to you soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:56 PM
  • Hi dipen.87, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. The information that you have provided is helpful, but does not contain everything that we need to properly troubleshoot your issue. Please collect a Fiddler trace containing the request and response and send that to my attention at dochelp(at)microsoft(dot)com and reference this forum thread.

Fiddler can be downloaded from here: http://www.telerik.com/download/fiddler

Instructions for configuring Fiddler to collect data for different platforms and devices can be found here: http://docs.telerik.com/fiddler/configure-fiddler/tasks/configurefiddler

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:44 PM
  • Hi dipen.87, I have not seen anything from you regarding this issue. Have you had a chance to collect the trace files I requested? Do you still need assistance with this issue?

Please let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.

Monday, February 16, 2015 8:58 PM
  • Hi dipen.87, since I have not seen a reply on the forums or an e-mail containing the trace files requested I will assume that you no longer need assistance with this. If that is not the case please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:59 PM