Migrating a single Team Project to another TFS server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We need to move a single Team Project (source control only) to a different TFS server on a disconnected network. Moving the entire collection is not an option since it is huge.

We've looked at the TFS integration platform but found a few problems:

1. It requires a direct network connection between the 2 servers (or perhaps am I missing something?). Is there a way to perform an "offline" migration? "Offline" Meaning perform an export in the source server, move the export package to the other network and then perform an import.

2. TFS integration does not migrate Labels. Am I wrong?

3.  TFS integration does not migrate branch relationships. Am I wrong?

I recently read this article (http://blog.hinshelwood.com/migrating-source-code-with-history-to-tfs-2012-with-git-tf/) about migrating source control using Git-Tf.

Will that approach migrate Labels & Branch relationships?

Any other ides on how to perform a high fidelity migration of source control?

Thank You,

Shay

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:03 PM

Answers

• Use the TFSConfig command line tool to clone the project collection on the same server, then delete the team projects you're not interested in, use the Test Attachment Cleaner to remove any test results you don't need to migrate.

Detach the cloned project collection, now with only one project in it, and move it to the new location.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:53 PM

All replies

• Use the TFSConfig command line tool to clone the project collection on the same server, then delete the team projects you're not interested in, use the Test Attachment Cleaner to remove any test results you don't need to migrate.

Detach the cloned project collection, now with only one project in it, and move it to the new location.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Hi Shay,

Since we haven't heard from you for a long time, I assume the issue is resolved, I mark useful reply as answer. If you have any concerns, please free feel to reopen it or submit a new question.

Thanks for your understanding.

Cathy Kong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 29, 2013 9:34 AM
  • this does not work.  the tfsconfig clone does not duplicate, rather it merely renames the collection, and creates trouble for users.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:54 PM
  • Follow this procedure to use the renamed project collection as a source for the project to be migrated:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/dd936158.aspx

Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:44 PM