How do I restore my File History to another system, or to the same system after a Reset?

Question

• How do I get my personal files back from external storage (File History) after I Reset my system?

1. Before Reset I turned on File History and let it sit for a while so it could do a "backup" (aside: How do I know when it is done and I can remove the external drive?)
    2. I Reset my system back to the way it was when I got it at //BUILD.  I gave the reset system the same name that it had before.
    3. I reattached the external storage and turned on File History.  But instead of "attaching" to the earlier File History, it created a new history, parallel to the old history on the external drive.   My old data is not accessible via the File History system, though I can browse it through the file system and recover my data one folder at a time -- but what about files and folders I need but I don't know about?

What is the recommended way to store and recover my files between systems, or to the same system after a reset?

+tom allen, Cupertino CA

+tom Cupertino, CA
    Monday, December 26, 2011 6:02 PM

Answers

• tom.allen,

You will first have to restore the files to your machine.

You can access the interface for recovering files with File History using a few different methods.

* Windows Explorer

o Select the History button on the Home tab of the ribbon.

* File History Control Panel

o Select the “Restore personal files” link at the bottom of the task pane.

Both of these will open the File History window where you can view previous version of files that have been saved.

* When opening the File History window using Windows Explorer, it will show the history for the folder that is currently selected in Windows Explorer.

* Clicking the Home button on the top left will take you to a view showing all of the folders and libraries that are being protected by File History.

* You can navigate between days and times by using the left and right arrows at the bottom of this window.

* Use the checkboxes to select files and files you would like to restore.

* After selecting all of the files you would like to restore, click the blue button with the circular arrow at the bottom-center of the window to restore the files back to their original location.

* You can also restore files to a location other than their original location by doing the following:

o Click the Settings icon on the top left of the window (it looks like a gear).

o Select File > Restore > Restore To.

o Browse to the folder you want to restore the files and folders to.

o Click “Select Folder”.

I hope this helps, please post back with your results.

Thanks,

Chris
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:22 PM

All replies

• tom.allen,

You will first have to restore the files to your machine.

You can access the interface for recovering files with File History using a few different methods.

* Windows Explorer

o Select the History button on the Home tab of the ribbon.

* File History Control Panel

o Select the “Restore personal files” link at the bottom of the task pane.

Both of these will open the File History window where you can view previous version of files that have been saved.

* When opening the File History window using Windows Explorer, it will show the history for the folder that is currently selected in Windows Explorer.

* Clicking the Home button on the top left will take you to a view showing all of the folders and libraries that are being protected by File History.

* You can navigate between days and times by using the left and right arrows at the bottom of this window.

* Use the checkboxes to select files and files you would like to restore.

* After selecting all of the files you would like to restore, click the blue button with the circular arrow at the bottom-center of the window to restore the files back to their original location.

* You can also restore files to a location other than their original location by doing the following:

o Click the Settings icon on the top left of the window (it looks like a gear).

o Select File > Restore > Restore To.

o Browse to the folder you want to restore the files and folders to.

o Click “Select Folder”.

I hope this helps, please post back with your results.

Thanks,

Chris
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for the detailed response.  That is very helpful to know how to use File History as it is designed to work.

In my scenario I wanted to use the File History to restore my user files to a system that has been Reset to "factory configuration".  Looking closely at my external drive I see that I did not give the system an identical name (original was TOMALLEN_SLATE, new is TOMALLEN-SLATE, a change from underscore to dash).  So it is reasonable that I got a new file history and cannot see the old history through the built-in history mechanism.  Thanks again for your help.

+tom Cupertino, CA
    Friday, December 30, 2011 7:09 AM