none
Will OLE links survive transfer to a office365 server? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to help someone who is embedding EXCEL OLE links in a Word document and moving the Word and Excel documents to an Office365 server.  He then re-edits the links online, but after saving and reopening the document, the links no longer point to the source files.  First, will OLE links still work with Office365 servers?  If so, what is the proper way to create and/or edit them in documents on an Office365 server?  Finally, can I use VBA to automate finding and changing multiple links in a document on an Office365 server?

-Dan

• Edited by djinks Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:03 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Dan

I'm afraid this isn't the right place to ask. This forum targets programming using the Word APIs. These aren't part of Office 365, so the people who support here don't have the necessary experience or skill set. So that does answer one of your questions: no, you can't use VBA to work with links on a document on an Office 365 server.

What could be possible, although I'm only guessing, would be to work with the document in its Open XML file format state. VBA doesn't provide you with any tools for this, though. While you can bind in an XML library (MSXML), there's nothing available in Windows or Office that enables you to work with ZIP files. A VB Express solution could probably do what you need. For support on this, your starting point is OpenXMLDeveloper.org

As to whether/how the links could work, I guess the right place to try would be here:
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/default.aspx

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:59 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:42 PM