Expression web 4 crashes after windows update today. RRS feed

• Question

• I allowed a Windows Critical Update and immediately after Microsoft Expression Web 4 SP2 crashes on start up. I am running Windows XP SP3.

• Security Update for Windows XP (KB2862152)
    • Security Update for Windows XP (KB2868626)
    • Security Update for Windows XP (KB2876331)
    • Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB2900986)
    • Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2888505)
    • Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - November 2013 (KB890830)
    • Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB2849999)
    • Security Update for Office 2003 (KB2760494)
    1. I tried a restore to yesterday (when the program worked) and the program crashed.
    2. I right clicked on app and "ran as administrator" and the program crashed.
    3. I tried the free fpcleaner for Expression Web 4 and the program crashed.

Not sure where to go from here. Below are the errors:

Error dump:

Error signature

AppName: expressionweb.exe      AppVer: 4.0.1303.0     AppStamp:4e117236

ModName: gdiplus.dll      ModVer: 5.2.6002.23084      ModStamp:516542d7

fDebug: 0       Offset: 0002edde

From the event viewer:

.NET Runtime 4.0 Error 2:46:14 PM

Faulting application expressionweb.exe, version 4.0.1303.0, stamp 4e117236, faulting module gdiplus.dll, version 5.2.6002.23084, stamp 516542d7, debug? 0, fault address 0x0002edde.

.NET Runtime 4.0 Error 2:47:48 PM

Bucket -383902834, bucket table 1, faulting application expressionweb.exe, version 4.0.1303.0, stamp 4e117236, faulting module gdiplus.dll, version 5.2.6002.23084, stamp 516542d7, debug? 0, fault address 0x0002edde.

.NET Runtime 2:47:48 PM

Application: ExpressionWeb.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException

Stack:

at <Module>.<st1:personname w:st="on">CW</st1:personname>ebberApp.Startup(<st1:personname w:st="on">CW</st1:personname>ebberApp*, <st1:personname w:st="on">CW</st1:personname>ebberHostProxy*)

at Microsoft.Expression.Web.Webber.WebberHostServices.Startup(Microsoft.Expression.Web.Webber.IWebberHost)

at Microsoft.Expression.Web.WebberHosting.WebberHost..ctor()

at Microsoft.Expression.Web.ApplicationServices..ctor(Microsoft.Expression.Extensibility.IServices)

at Microsoft.Expression.Web.XWebApplication.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)

at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)

at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)

at Microsoft.Expression.Web.Application.MainHelper(System.Windows.SplashScreen)

at Microsoft.Expression.Web.Application.Main()

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:39 PM

All replies

• Try rolling back further. We are users here, and this is a user-to-user forum. Microsoft tech support does not hang out here. Hell, as far as we can tell, no one from Microsoft ever comes around here anymore.

Only thing I can suggest is that if you're running the commercial version, you try completely uninstalling it, then download and install the completely free version EW4 SP2a. That may or may not resolve the issue, but if it does, please report back so we'll know for future enquiries.

BTW, this is exactly why I have automatic updates turned off...  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:10 AM
  • Scott,

Thanks for your input.

I did about 4 different rollbacks to no success. I then remembered that I backed up my registry before the windows update. I restored the registry and the problem was resolved!!!!

I think the problem was with either the Security Update for Office 2003 (KB2760494) or Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB2900986). So I have blocked these and stopped the automatic downloads of windows updates.

Thanks for your insight!

Thom.

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:07 PM