none
VFPOLEDB on 64 bit Operating Systems RRS feed

• Question

• This is a bit annoying because there doesn't seem to be any reference about this on any of Microsoft's sites.

Is the VFPOLEDB not compatible with 64 bit operating systems?  When trying to use it with either XP Pro 64-bit Edition or Windows Server 2003 64-bit edition, I get the "Provider not installed on local Machine."

I find it hard to believe (sort of) that Microsoft would not specify that, nor get a patch out for it.  Many of my customers are getting 64 bit servers and it basically kills any legacy apps that still use Foxpro data.

Does ANYONE have any information about his, or even better, a way to get the provider to work on an x64 machine?

Thanks!!!

Monday, March 13, 2006 5:54 AM

Answers

• The VFP oledb driver is 32 bit and can not be used with the NET 2.0 CLR running in 64 bit mode. It is my understanding that there are no plans to provide a 64 bit version of the VFP oledb driver.

Here's a quote form Ken Levy last month (UT Feb 14, 2006 - Message #1096276):

"There is a huge difference in the resources needed for the latter [64-Bit] and is not part of the plans. If you plan to have your database run on a 64-bit server, then it will be recommended that you store your data in a 64-bit database server like SQL Server 2005. Note: VFP 9.0 will run in 32-bit mode on a 64-bit machine." -- Ken Levy [MS]

Monday, March 13, 2006 12:28 PM

All replies

• The VFP oledb driver is 32 bit and can not be used with the NET 2.0 CLR running in 64 bit mode. It is my understanding that there are no plans to provide a 64 bit version of the VFP oledb driver.

Here's a quote form Ken Levy last month (UT Feb 14, 2006 - Message #1096276):

"There is a huge difference in the resources needed for the latter [64-Bit] and is not part of the plans. If you plan to have your database run on a 64-bit server, then it will be recommended that you store your data in a 64-bit database server like SQL Server 2005. Note: VFP 9.0 will run in 32-bit mode on a 64-bit machine." -- Ken Levy [MS]

Monday, March 13, 2006 12:28 PM
  • Thanks for the response, it was helpful.  I do find it unbelievable that the "fix" is to move to SQL Server 2005.  Upsizing may be simple, but the code changes to match are not.

It would have been a little different if there was better, or SOME warning that there were no plans to put out a 64-bit OLEDB provider.

Monday, March 13, 2006 4:44 PM
  • Then you haven't been paying attention. It's been on the VFP web site since at least June of last year.

> It would have been a little different if there was better, or SOME warning that there were no plans to put out a 64-bit OLEDB provider.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 4:19 PM
  • It is possible to access FoxPro via the 32 bit VFPOLEDB from a .Net application on a 64 bit OS (such as Windows 7 x64). You just have to compile the application in Visual Studio for the x86 platform. Visual Studio gives you the option of compiling the app for Any CPU, x86, or x64. Specifying x86 forces the app to run in 32 bit mode, even on a 64 bit OS.

If you want to access FoxPro as a linked server from SQL Server 64 bit, you're probably just out of luck. I don't think there's any way to force SQL Server x64 to acceses a 32 bit OLEDB driver.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:37 PM
  • Solution of this problem use the Sql Express edition 2008 on the same 64 bit machine, Express edition loads the Vfpoledb and imports the data from foxpro.
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:55 AM