unstable vb10 can not test project RRS feed

• Question

• the problem started with list view. i got msg "unstable designer". I deleted the list view control and saved work.

now one form will not work when called. I have 8 monthes work invested. can i get any help???

james fleming
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 8:04 AM

Answers

• I do have a backup! the problem was solved by copying the code and controles to a new form and chaging the labels; labels lost in copy function, for some reason! I well delete old form at later date.

The problem w/ list view is still not answerd?  How can anybody know what causes the msg "unstable designer"???

james fleming
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Unfortunately from time to time the only way to fix a problem is to go into the designer and comment out something that has gotten broken.....even though it tells you you should not. I suspect that the times that I have had to do this were times when I had done something really bad.......but as best as I can tell, the only way to fix it without just about starting all over is to edit in the designer..

I had a problem several months ago where I had to do it, posted it on one of these boards looking for a better answer, only to be told by one of the Moderators that my solution was the only recommendable way to fix it and that if he found a better answer he would post it.......

So, I am really happy that they expose the designer code so that we can fix problems...

And speaking of fixing problems......let me take this opportunity to thank Mike Feng and Cor Ligthert for all of the excellent advice they have given me over the last couple of years...... So many times you get somebody who talks down or tells you that using the designer tools are just wrong and you have to do it a different way.... And then along comes Mike or Cor and solves your problem in an intelligent way without you having to throw away weeks of work and try to learn a totally different method...

Thanks Guys....... You and many others have kept me from going insane (more insane?) on several occasions....

• Proposed as answer by horngsh Friday, January 13, 2012 8:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike FengModerator Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:58 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:03 AM

All replies

• Jim,

Mostly impossible to help you with this from a forum. 

However, mostly it is just a blood sweat and tears job. 

Be aware you can see the designer code by doing in top of solution explorer show all files.

The designer code is than in 

xx.designer.vb

Success
    Cor
    • Proposed as answer by horngsh Monday, January 9, 2012 11:25 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by jim learning vb10 Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:19 AM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Revert to backup that works?

You do have backups don't you? :)

Regards David R
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Every program eventually becomes rococo, and then rubble. - Alan Perlis
    The only valid measurement of code quality: WTFs/minute.
    • Proposed as answer by Renee Culver Friday, January 13, 2012 10:07 PM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:15 PM
  • I do have a backup! the problem was solved by copying the code and controles to a new form and chaging the labels; labels lost in copy function, for some reason! I well delete old form at later date.

The problem w/ list view is still not answerd?  How can anybody know what causes the msg "unstable designer"???

james fleming
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Hi James,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

What steps do I follow to reproduce this scenario? And would you like to post more details about the message "unstable designer"?

Can you confirm the error line(s)? 

I need more information to fix this issue up, please feel free to follow up.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, January 9, 2012 4:02 AM
  • Jim,

Those messages are also created by programmers, we are not educators, masters in English, or masters in communication.

Maybe the message is not as direct telling what can be the problem, but keep that in mind if you next time see messages. Some think that  Microsoft is located on the mountain Olympus in Redmond. But that is not the fact, Microsoft employees are just humans.

Success
    Cor
    Monday, January 9, 2012 5:53 AM
  • In addition to Cor Ligthert, you can open the xxxx.desinger.vb in code view mode and then you can try to comment out the suspicous culprit code that block your form's design view to display correctly. Once you switch to form's design view smoothly and correctly, then delete the culprit code.

When I was a beginner, I had encountered this problem too. IMO, not to modify any xxx.designer.vb code manually by any editor. Or you might not be able to display the form in design view.

My blog: http://soho-hsh.blogspot.com
    Monday, January 9, 2012 11:30 AM
  • there is a lot of code muds that ride along w/ the form designer! I do not understand why MS would even show there internal support code to the user? I really do not want to see it; and i have never canged it. At this point in my 5 days of frestration w/ list view i can not reconstruct what happen.

I am almost ready to go to list box. All i need is a list i can show to the user that will show background color with forground text; this will be info for user. It will show the user colored inticater names he is looking at on the stock chart.

james fleming
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:29 AM
  • I would suggest you use Ctrl+Z often to undo your changes when you encounter some tough situations.

Ctrl+Y means Redo, whereas Ctrl+Z means Undo. You can keep pressing Ctrl+Z for several times to do a lot of undo changes in a row.

My blog: http://soho-hsh.blogspot.com
    • Edited by horngsh Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:50 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Unfortunately from time to time the only way to fix a problem is to go into the designer and comment out something that has gotten broken.....even though it tells you you should not. I suspect that the times that I have had to do this were times when I had done something really bad.......but as best as I can tell, the only way to fix it without just about starting all over is to edit in the designer..

I had a problem several months ago where I had to do it, posted it on one of these boards looking for a better answer, only to be told by one of the Moderators that my solution was the only recommendable way to fix it and that if he found a better answer he would post it.......

So, I am really happy that they expose the designer code so that we can fix problems...

And speaking of fixing problems......let me take this opportunity to thank Mike Feng and Cor Ligthert for all of the excellent advice they have given me over the last couple of years...... So many times you get somebody who talks down or tells you that using the designer tools are just wrong and you have to do it a different way.... And then along comes Mike or Cor and solves your problem in an intelligent way without you having to throw away weeks of work and try to learn a totally different method...

Thanks Guys....... You and many others have kept me from going insane (more insane?) on several occasions....

• Proposed as answer by horngsh Friday, January 13, 2012 8:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike FengModerator Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:58 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:03 AM
  • I would suggest that you back up your work meaning your disks.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me
    Friday, January 13, 2012 10:09 PM