Large Biztalk Schemas RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a new project in Biztalk, where i need to work with a very large canonical schema(a sample file is around 130kb).
    Many of the nodes in this schema are optional. For the first project involving this canonical schema,
    it is estimated that only 20 % of the nodes may actually be mapped.
    However, there could be projects in the near future, where other nodes may be used.

I am a little concerned about potential performance problems, memory problems etc.
    I would like to understand from the community what are potential problems you expereienced
    while working with large schemas?
    Any best practices around handling these schemas,maps that I can follow during dev?

thanks
    MS

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:13 AM

Answers

• 130 KB is not a big size as per schema . You should be more aware of the  message size as Large messages require more processing resources. As message size increases, overall throughput (messages processed per second) decreases.

You can look into below MSDN post

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc615058(v=bts.10).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee377047.aspx

But if this canonical schema serves the purpose for more business schenario I will go ahead with this as per design prospective .

Thanks
    Abhishek

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:36 AM
  • 130 Kb?  You mean Kilobytes?

That's...well...nothing.  Whether it's the Schema or Message, that's barely noticeable.  In this case, you only concern would be the number of messages and even then, I wouldn't give a second thought unless your expected counts started at 10k/hr.

As for the Mapping, again, don't worry about it.  If only 20% of the fields are mapped, then the map, and resulting Xslt will only represent that 20% so the Map will only be as large as the business needs it to be.

Keep in mind, Schemas are primarily Designer artifacts in BizTalk.  They are required at runtime in very few circumstances, Flat File and EDI processing is all I can really think of.  You can Schema validate, but that's optional and is pretty efficient either way.

I routinely work with Schemas in the 5-10 MB range with no particular issues other than the Mapper getting a little slow.

• Proposed as answer by Ravindar Thati Monday, June 23, 2014 1:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by MS_Prog Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:57 AM
    Monday, June 23, 2014 12:01 PM
  • As boatseller said, there should not be any issue with schema size. The focus point should be on message size which Biztalk artifacts will be processing and the best approach with Biztalk would be to work with large no. of smaller messages rather than less no. of large messages.

Having said that, if you see maps taking more time and server has enough memory then you can increase TransformThreshold registry value, the default value is 1MB.

Regards, Ajeet Kumar MCTS Biztalk Server

Monday, June 23, 2014 1:04 PM

All replies

• 130 KB is not a big size as per schema . You should be more aware of the  message size as Large messages require more processing resources. As message size increases, overall throughput (messages processed per second) decreases.

You can look into below MSDN post

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc615058(v=bts.10).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee377047.aspx

But if this canonical schema serves the purpose for more business schenario I will go ahead with this as per design prospective .

Thanks
    Abhishek

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:36 AM
  • 130 Kb?  You mean Kilobytes?

That's...well...nothing.  Whether it's the Schema or Message, that's barely noticeable.  In this case, you only concern would be the number of messages and even then, I wouldn't give a second thought unless your expected counts started at 10k/hr.

As for the Mapping, again, don't worry about it.  If only 20% of the fields are mapped, then the map, and resulting Xslt will only represent that 20% so the Map will only be as large as the business needs it to be.

Keep in mind, Schemas are primarily Designer artifacts in BizTalk.  They are required at runtime in very few circumstances, Flat File and EDI processing is all I can really think of.  You can Schema validate, but that's optional and is pretty efficient either way.

I routinely work with Schemas in the 5-10 MB range with no particular issues other than the Mapper getting a little slow.

• Proposed as answer by Ravindar Thati Monday, June 23, 2014 1:05 PM
    Monday, June 23, 2014 12:01 PM
  • As boatseller said, there should not be any issue with schema size. The focus point should be on message size which Biztalk artifacts will be processing and the best approach with Biztalk would be to work with large no. of smaller messages rather than less no. of large messages.

Having said that, if you see maps taking more time and server has enough memory then you can increase TransformThreshold registry value, the default value is 1MB.

Regards, Ajeet Kumar MCTS Biztalk Server

Monday, June 23, 2014 1:04 PM