Mirroring failover warnings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

we are having frequent failover warnings in mirroring, and the timeout were set to 10 seconds mostly, and customer says  "that the server is not timing out since I'm running a continuous ping from the abc (witness) server.

Please give me more information in regards to the cause of fail over? what I assume is since the timeout is set to just 10 seconds it is causing frequent failover warnings, Please advice me.

Here are few errors from errorlog:

Database mirroring connection error 4 '64(The specified network name is no longer available.)' for 'TCP://abcdef.Big.ad.local:5022'.

Error: 1474, Severity: 16, State: 1.

Database mirroring connection error 4 'An error occurred while receiving data: '10054(An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)'.' for 'TCP://abcder.Big.ad.local:5022'

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 5, 2015 2:19 PM

Answers

• Read the recommendations of configuring partner 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366349(v=sql.100).aspx

If you plan to use high-safety mode with automatic failover, the normal load on each failover partner should be less than 50 percent of the CPU. If your work load overloads the CPU, a failover partner might be unable to ping the other server instances in the mirroring session. This causes a unnecessary failover. If you cannot keep the CPU usage under 50 percent, we recommend that you use either high-safety mode without automatic failover or high-performance mode.

Did you check with n/w team? If its n/w dropout then you can expect the failover. Work with n/w team and see if they find any thing useful.

And

If that is not the case,  Increase the timeout value to 20 seconds and see if this solves the problem.

--Prashanth

Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:48 PM