none
Windows Server 2003 firewall or group policy problem - random loss of access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have encounterd an issue with Windows Server 2003 where some users have no access to the server whatsoever. This server hosts many services such as several SQL instances, RDP server, shared files etc. Since dwo days ago we have noticed that one of the users of this server would not be able to connect to it by any means. Not even by ping. They would normally use one of the instances of the SQL on daily basis. This issue was isolated to this sole user despite the fact that this client computer is situated in the same network and same subnet as everyone else who use this server.

I have been looking for issues in firewall and group policies but could not find any. I have even tried to make backup of the registry, returned registry settings to default and then opened the SQL ports for all computers and this one would still not connect. Then I tried to turn off firewall completely and tested again, and suddenly it worked. Then I have turned the firewall back on again and it was still working. It has worked fine for an hour and then I was informed that the user I have fixed is still okay but some other users ale experiencing the problem now.

Anyone has a faint idea what this could be about and where to look?

Thanks in advance!

Mariusz "Meva" Graszek

Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:15 PM