How to achieve data explorer functionality RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Architects,

I need some help and references to achieve the following functionality. 

1.    Our users (little bit technical guys) use Visual Studio 2010 to create silver light applications and class libraries. We built our own project templates to create the required Silverlight application project and class libraries. We also built an extension to add classes, properties to Silverlight class library projects. The user will use our extensions instead of hand coding the classes and properties.

2.    We want to provide some kind of mechanism (drag and drop) to map the class library (Model) to Silverlight application controls at the design time. This is to avoid hand coding field by field.

To achieve point#2, we tried following but did not work.

1. Create our own toolbox loaded with classes and members from silver light libraries. 

>> We could create our own toolbox window or we could not drop onto the Silverlight design surface. 

2. Extend data source window control

>> I am not sure is there way for extending ..

Finally I am trying the below.

Build an adorner for grid control to display a small button some corner. On click of the adorn Open a WPF Window which will have a tree view on left side populated with classes  and properties and place holder to load the grid's XAMLl . Since it is my own window, I am assuming that I will be able to achieve drag and drop.

What I want to know is, am I in right direction to achieve my requirement? Please provide some samples or references to achieve this.

Also, I would like to know are there any other ways to solve this problem.

Many thanks

Hari

Harinatha
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:45 PM

All replies

• Hello there,

Please do ask Microsoft Technical Support for help.

Regards,

Phijo Mathew Philip.

PHIJO MP
    Friday, October 8, 2010 4:29 PM