Why do I get a prompt for "Credentials required for the repository" while checking out from GIT? RRS feed

• Question

• User199091 posted

I have a SSH Key configured. Pull requests from GIT Bash work perfectly fine using SSH, but when I try to add the repository to Xamarin studio and checkout, I get a prompt saying "Credentials required for the repository" it has just a cancel and and OK button, on clicking OK I get an error prompt saying "Version control operation failed: UsernamePasswordCredentials contains a null username or password."

However if I use a simple http URL to add the repository to checkout using Xamarin things work perfectly fine. Although its very slow since its on http.

Can someone please guide me through configuring GIT repository using SSH for Xamarin Studio and get rid of this error?

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:49 AM

All replies

• User199091 posted

Below are the screenshots of the prompts I get.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:50 AM
  • User113195 posted

I am having the same problem. Were you able to find a solution?

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:18 PM
  • User131501 posted

I am also having the same problem. I get prompted for my git user/pass every time I push or pull (twice when I push). I have set my credentials using command line Git, to no avail.

I'd love to eliminate these steps.

Monday, October 10, 2016 6:34 PM
  • User301166 posted

I'm having the same problem now with Visual Studio for Mac. I get prompted to fill username and password every time I want to push into a repository even though I've already set up an SSH key for my mac. If I fill out correctly the username and password, it doesn't work neither. It prompts me again and again, and it never pushes. Hence, I'm obliged to do it trough shell git push.

Has anyone found a solution so far?

Saturday, July 1, 2017 10:57 PM
  • User365330 posted

@Juansero29 I get the same exact thing.

Monday, March 12, 2018 8:17 PM