none
How to Deploy Device Driver in Virtual Machine using Visul Studio 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• How do I deploy the drivers developed using WDK to a Virtual Machine rather than a physical machine. Is there any software that can help to load the .sys file in a virtual machine? Or is there a way to connect the VM to Visual Studio 2015 for auto deoployment?
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 4:15 PM

All replies

• the WDK does not distinguish between a remote physical machine and a VM. deploying to a vm should work. have you tried ? if so, what failed?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 4:36 PM
  • The question is how do I deploy to a VM. The MSDN document is about deploying on a real hardware. It doesn't provide a doc for deploying on a VM.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:20 PM
  • You can deploy to a VM. Have you looked into the DevCon utility? You can load the sys file in VM or you local machine( latter not recommended) using DevCon.exe utility that ships with WDK.

The Command is

Devcon install inf of driver hardwareid

eg: DevCon install MyDriver.inf hardwareid

For basic deployment this is OK.

If you want to know advanced deployment/debugging you will have to take a deeper look at deploying/provisioning etc. You can do this from Visual Studio or WinDbg both with a VM.

this will help for Visual Studio.

If you are debugging using WinDbg, this will help

• Edited by its_me_here Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:25 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:11 PM