How to modify query for Product Backlog? RRS feed

• Question

• We added a new PBI State and want items with this state to appear in the Product Backlog along with New and Approved. How can I do it?  

I tried editing the Product Backlog query in the Shared Queries, but that does not seem to control the "actual" PB.

• Edited by msigman Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:48 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello misgman,

Thanks for your post. However, I am sorry that I still feel confused about your issue: do you mean you can't add extra state to the PBI work items or you get issues when you customize the Product Backlog query in the Shared Queries folder?

If you are referring to the first one, it is convient for you to first download and install TFS11 Beta Power Tool to customize the PBI work item type. In VS, please go to Tools->Process Editor->Work Item types->Open WIT from server->select the WIT and make modifications to it. After you save it, the modified WIT are imported back to the TFS Server.
    Please note that: TFS11 Beta Power Tool can work with TFS2012 RC.

If you are referring to the second one, that is you have customized the PBI work item type successfully and want the new added State shown in the Product Backlog query: as we know that the Product Backlog query is shipped in the team project process template. So, you need to first download the team project template to your local drive and go to the folder <your process teamplate name>\WorkItem Tracking\Queries and find the ProductBacklog.wiq file and custom it to accomplish this.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, June 22, 2012 4:42 AM
  • Thanks Vicky, the second suggestion you made is exactly what I'm looking for.  I modified the .wiq file and uploaded it back to the server, but it hasn't updated yet via the web access.  Is it cached or is there some delay I should know of? 
    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Hi misgman,

After you upload the modified the .wiq file (or team project process template), do you create a new team project with the new template? As far as I know that you can get the modified .wiq work only in the new created team project. And I did a test on my machine, the new added state shown correctly in TFS web access. See this screenshot:

On my side, I add the unapproved state.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:17 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

Yes I think the problem is I was hoping to modify this for an existing team project.  We have done a lot of work already and can't delete/recreate a new one.  Is there any way to import or modify an existing WIQ?

Monday, June 25, 2012 4:44 PM
  • Hi msigman,

In another thread, Ewald said that you can achieve that by saving as the query to the My Queries or Team Queries. Although I do not try it, I think it should help you. See: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsadmin/thread/1ec0d019-074d-466c-b8e1-502d8de36ecf

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:22 AM
  • Thanks Vicky.  I tried that and it lets me update the Shared Query "Product Backlog" but not the actual Product Backlog itself from the main tab.  See below screenshots.

I can update the Team/Shared Query called "Product Backlog":

But this does not affect the true Product Backlog available in the SCRUM template:

How do I update the true Product Backlog of an existing team project?

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Got it working!

From Ewald:  "You don’t do it with the queries. Use the witadmin exportcommonprocessconfig command to export the common process configuration. You specify over there the states that are included on the product backlog.  I do tomorrow morning a session at teched Europe about exactly this topic. The session (http://channel9.msdn.com/events/TechEd/Europe/2012/DEV217) should be available later this week online if you are not at TechEd."

More info is available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh739073(v=vs.110).aspx

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Hello,

Based on Ewald's response and his presentation we know how to use common process configuration and categories to control workitem types and states what are displayed in "backlog" web access screen.

For me this is still not enought. I have multiple backlogs in the system (some of them just beeing future backlogs anf future features or ideas). I can filter them by let say "backlogId" custom field.

So the orifinal question stays still open:

Is the any way to modify query generated by TFS to display backlog work items in "backlog" web access screen? I would like to add additional clauses to better filter content of the list (by filtering using my custom fields).

Best Regards,
    Pawel

Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:25 AM
  • I don't think this is possible in TFS 2012.  See the following requests on the UserVoice site.  Add your vote.

Provide a way to filter the list of items in the product backlog (under Work – Backlog) on the web view

Create a grouping / categorising mechanism for product backlog

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:25 PM