Sql Server Failover cluster 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Gurus,

I was trying to install SQl Server 2012 Failover cluster on Sql Sever eval version, now everything was ruinning fine but suddenly my c drive went out of space and the installation failed, from setup file i ran remove node from cluster.

i have deleted all the folders of MSSQLSERVER, and now i am trying to run the setup,the problem is the screen after the terms and condition screen is not coming up, it just goes blank and nothing is happening.

I am not sure what is stopping that screen from coming up now,

Please guide

Nitin

nitin

Monday, June 4, 2012 5:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Nitin,

Rather than delete all the folders you should have gone into add/remove programs and removed anything related to your install to attempt to cleanly retry. I have to add, isnt space still going to be an issue for you?

Basically you should look at your installation logs and Windows event logs to see what they are saying is the problem.

Usually for problem installations I use the /INDICATEPROGRESS switch to verbosely pipe the setup log to the the console which many times makes troubleshooting a failed install more obvious to figure out.

If after doing the above switch you cannot figure out the problem them I advise a clean uninstall of your SQL components and try again.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Sunday, July 8, 2012 5:21 PM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Nitin,

Rather than delete all the folders you should have gone into add/remove programs and removed anything related to your install to attempt to cleanly retry. I have to add, isnt space still going to be an issue for you?

Basically you should look at your installation logs and Windows event logs to see what they are saying is the problem.

Usually for problem installations I use the /INDICATEPROGRESS switch to verbosely pipe the setup log to the the console which many times makes troubleshooting a failed install more obvious to figure out.

If after doing the above switch you cannot figure out the problem them I advise a clean uninstall of your SQL components and try again.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Sunday, July 8, 2012 5:21 PM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 12:34 PM
  • I can still see many programs in add/remove progrms in control panel, do i uninstall each one of them individually?

Best Regards Nitin

Monday, June 4, 2012 5:37 PM
  • And if i go into programs i can see the MSSQL 2012 folder and many components under it,shall i remove everything from add/remove programs which has sql server wriiten with it.

Please suggest.

Regards

Best Regards Nitin

Monday, June 4, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Hey Mark,

Just to remind you that i am using sql server 2012 eval version, this should not  be a problem,right?

Regards

Best Regards Nitin

Monday, June 4, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Hi Nitin. It is possible your uninstall will fail if you have physically removed files. The following url is the procedure you should normally follow for uninstalls http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143412.aspx You might find that running Repair might either resolve your problem OR at very least allow you to uninstall to try again...

Follow this ... Repair a Failed SQL Server 2012 Installation

Oh and the fact that it is SQL 2012 Eval makes no difference to your success or failure. It is a very stable build for a RTM.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Monday, June 4, 2012 11:05 PM
  • hey Mark,

same problem if i am trying to repair it,after accepting the licence ,the screen comes which says checking setup files and nothing happens after that.

please suggest.

Regards

Best Regards Nitin

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:28 AM
  • Ok. I'm presuming you are waiting for it long enough. I'd give it at least an hour (worst case just to make sure). Next thing you need to do then inspect the log files and Windows eventviewer.

You might find this link useful to troubleshoot the sql log files -please bear in mind it is for SQL 2008 so the directory naming (for version numbers) will be every so slightly different.

How to identify SQL Server 2008 setup issues in the setup log files One last thing you could try doing is to remove and reinstall the dotnet frameworks if possible. I have heard of the occasional issue like yours on failed SQL installations.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Thanks Mark,

I will uninstall .net framework today and will update you,

thanks for your support.

Regards

Best Regards Nitin

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:34 AM
  • Hey Mark, A quick question,

When we install Sql Server 2012, does Sql Server 2008 client tools install automatically? is it something like this?

Nitin

Best Regards Nitin

Thursday, June 7, 2012 10:30 AM
  • No, only enough components to provide supported backwards compatibility from 2012 tools.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 11:31 AM
  • Hey Mark, I have uninstalled everything related to SQL Server, deleted every folder related to SQL Server.

but i can still see the microsoft sql server 2012 folder under programs,

how can i get rid of this before attempting installation again?

Nitin

Best Regards Nitin

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Hey Mark,

Can you please suggest?

Regards

Best Regards Nitin

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Ok this is not advisable but I suppose you have 1 of two options. 1 rebuild your Cluster host server that you are having problems with or 2. Manually uninstall sql.

The following url is for SQL 2005 but the same principle applies http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180973%28v=sql.90%29.aspx

Im afraid if you start embarking down this path and it goes wrong then you may still be looking at rebuilding and configuring the host OS.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Mark,

The problem is i dont see anything related to sql server add or remove programs now.

Please suggest

Nitin

Best Regards Nitin

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Is the folder itself posing you problems? What do the setup logfiles tell when nothing is happening?
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hey Mark/Prince

shall i go ahead and do the OS installation also again?

Prince-Yes  i can still see the folder in the Programs files.

Nitin

Best Regards Nitin

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Hi Nitin,

Plz let me know where r u doing all this thing??/On Base machine or on hyper v node.

You have two option :

1)Use MSI Cleaner for remove all sql server component and remove cluster .
    Removing forcefully cluster :

Remove-Cluster [-InputObject <psobject>] [-CleanupAD] [-Cluster <string>] [-Force] [<CommonParameters>]

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee461005.aspx

2)Delete all cluster node and again re installed from beginning,so that you will not have any problem.

Before re installing plz check you have enough space .

Thanks & Regards, Vijay Jain Executive - Infrastructure Services

Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Hi Nitin!

Again the question: Is the folder really a problem? Just having it there normally is NOT a problem.

And again my second question: What does the setup log say when you are running setup? It's hard to give recommendations if we don't know what the problem is yet...

Lucifer

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:58 PM
  • After agreeing to the licence it runs a small check and then the next screen does not come up again,

So now i have decided to start again,

Shall i ask my network team to build the OS again and cluster too?

Nitin

Best Regards Nitin

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Personally, I would blow away the OS and start over just to be safe...  Why take the risk of a corrupted install right off the bat. 

Patrick Curran | Twitter | Blog
    Click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you.
    Click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question.
    Click "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:40 PM