IOS app development RRS feed

• Question

• User-236691393 posted

Hi All,

My company(logistics and Warehouse) wants to build an app for IOS/Android devices using .NET platform. We do have Telerik subscription (Kendo UI).

I need a good place and suggestion to start on this. I am hoping MVC Mobile is the only way to create mobile apps using .net. Am I right?

The application helps our users (Does include truck drivers) to pull information about location, distance, wait time for loading and special instructions as per load.

If any one has already used any of these features, please help me.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:53 PM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

For native applications, Xamarin is going to certainly be your best approach (they have incredible tools and would also allow you to use a .NET language like C# to write it in).

The Kendo Tools are likely only going to be useful if you are developing a Web Application, which based on your requirements doesn't seem like it. Kendo and Telerik in general have fantastic tools, but this is simply a case of being an entirely different problem.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:45 PM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

There are a few things that you'll want to consider here.

Firstly, if you need an actual native application that would be present in the iOS App Store or the Android Marketplace, then you are going to have to take a different approach as those will require you to create actual applications that are made to run on those devices (and not just Web Applications like Web Forms or MVC).

Consider Xamarin

I would HIGHLY recommend looking into Xamarin and some of their products (including MonoTouch), which are specifically geared for developing native iOS and Android applications using C# (so the transition would be very minor and you wouldn't have to go learn Objective-C etc.)

I have used them in the past to develop some iOS "Apps" and I was more than impressed with how easy their tools were to use and how smooth the transition was from working in something like Visual Studio to MonoDevelop (the iOS IDE for Mono).

Depending on your Application and what it does, you may also consider looking into PhoneGap, which aims at creating applications in a cross-platform way that can be installed on Android, iOS and other devices.

If you don't require "Native Applications"...

MVC Mobile is an excellent way to design a "mobile" application that would be used within a Web browser, however it's important to make the distinction between an actual application and a web application. MVC isn't going to have access to anything like GPS values, distances and any other data that would otherwise be accessed through the device itself.

Overview

If you need phone or device information, such as GPS information, which it sounds like you do. You'll need to create a specific Application to target both iOS, Android or Windows marketplaces, which Xamarin would be ideal for. If you don't need this information, then you should just be able to make a basic MVC Web Application that your users will be able to access from their web browsers on their devices.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:00 PM
  • User-236691393 posted

Hello Rion,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds Interesting!

I sure need to use ATT GPS/Geo-Navigation for this.

Looks like Xamarin is a way to go however I was wondering if Telerik Kendo UI tools can help reach this goal.

As I have the subscription of Telerik, I am looking at possibilities.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:48 PM
  • User281315223 posted

For native applications, Xamarin is going to certainly be your best approach (they have incredible tools and would also allow you to use a .NET language like C# to write it in).

The Kendo Tools are likely only going to be useful if you are developing a Web Application, which based on your requirements doesn't seem like it. Kendo and Telerik in general have fantastic tools, but this is simply a case of being an entirely different problem.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:45 PM