locked
UrlRewriting and Google Translate Javascript API RRS feed

  • Question

  • User1006181013 posted

    Hi All 

    I have an ASP.NET  website on an IIS7 webserver that incorporates 
    UrlRewriting. It appears that when the Google Translate Utility is 
    used it appends the following querystring to the end of the address 

    #googtrans/en/et 

    This in effect breaks some pages within my site, specifically those 
    that mirror a directory structure eg http://www.somesite.com/Category/ProductListing/
    I works fine where the address has the following structure 
    http://www.somesite.com/Category/Product.aspx#googtrans/en/et 

    Does anybody know if Google Translate works on sites where 
    urlrewriting is used and if not are there any workarounds 

    Kind Regards 

    Scott Brady 

    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:04 PM

All replies

  • User2050679644 posted

    I never had any problems with google translate in any of the site i used url rewritting on. Are you using the IIS URL Rewrite Module? Maybe there's something wrong with your regular expressions

    Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:59 AM
  • User1006181013 posted

    We are using the IIS7 URL Rewrite Module.

    We are trying to implement the google translator on the following 

    site: 

    http://www.greyhoundaustralia.co.uk/ 

    At the moment we have not got it implemented in our production version 
    only on our development platform. 

    It appears to work when navigating to url that does not incorporate 
    urlrewriteing once the page has been translated for the first time. 

    eg http://www.greyhoundaustralia.co.uk/Pages/ContactUs.aspx 

    But when navigating to a urlrewritten page such after translation the 
    page navigated to reverts back to the default language (english) 

    http://www.greyhoundaustralia.co.uk/Experience/CAPETRIBULATIONDAYTOUR 

    We have tried to use the Microsoft Bing Translator but we have found 
    its performance slower and therefore would prefer to use Google.

    Although Bing does maintain the translation between pages wether or not they are UrlRewritten 

    Regards 

    Scott Brady 

    Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:36 PM
  • User2050679644 posted

    it definitly sounds like a regex problem. Check out how's the url  coming with google translator, then you need to make sure to catter for any parameters that google adds in your regular expressions

    Friday, April 23, 2010 4:53 AM