404 Error on IIS 7 RRS feed

• Question

• User1838751391 posted

I have a similar error to others and have worked through the responses posted here, but no resolution yet.

I have an ASP .Net Web Site which I can deploy and use locally with no issues (Window 7 Enterprise SP1, machine has .Net Framework 4.5.1 installed, IIS 7.5, Application Pool uses Framework v4.0.30319, Site deployed using Visual Studio Express 2013 for Web, Published via VS using File System method).

When I try to deploy the same to a server I am able to view the default page correctly using the URL  http://server/directory/ in the browser, but am unable to access any of the pages when specified directly ie. http://server/directory/default.aspx. The error i receive is :-

"404 - File or directory not found. The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

(Virtual Machine, Windows Server Standard 6 - SP2, IIS 7.0, machine has .Net Framework 4.5 Installed, Application Pool uses Framework v4.0.30319, as above)

I have tried various suggestions but no resolution yet.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:11 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi laiF,

Welocme to asp.net forum.

According to your description above, I’d like to suggest you to enable the failed Request Tracing in IIS, this will give me some hint on why a request has failed, we can enable this Failed Request Tracing in the IIS by steps below,

1. Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager:
    2. In the Connections pane, select the server connection, site, application, or directory for which you want to configure failed request tracing.
    3. In the Actions pane, click Failed Request Tracing...
    4. In the Edit Web Site Failed Request Tracing Settings dialog box, select the Enable check box to enable tracing, leave the default value or type a new directory where you want to store failed request log files in the Directory box, type the number of failed request trace files you want to store in the Maximum number of trace files box, and then click OK.

You can check log files in C:\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogFiles, it will give more details to troubleshoot this issue.

Further information:

Using Failed Request Tracing to Trace Rewrite Rules

Troubleshooting Failed Requests Using Tracing in IIS 7

Regards

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:53 PM
  • User1838751391 posted

Hi Angie

This allowed me to identify an issue with the version of the .Net Framework which I have now resolved.

Thank You

Iain

Monday, June 16, 2014 9:33 AM

All replies

• User364480375 posted

Try by:

1- backup the site collection

2- delete the old corrupted site collection

3- restore the backup to a new site collection

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:29 AM
  • User1838751391 posted

Thanks for the response.

I have tried recreating the site on different servers, export & re-import, backup & restore options, different app pools but get the same error.

I was hoping someone had come across this situation before and I was making some mistake with my server deployment or such.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:10 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi laiF,

Welocme to asp.net forum.

According to your description above, I’d like to suggest you to enable the failed Request Tracing in IIS, this will give me some hint on why a request has failed, we can enable this Failed Request Tracing in the IIS by steps below,

1. Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager:
    2. In the Connections pane, select the server connection, site, application, or directory for which you want to configure failed request tracing.
    3. In the Actions pane, click Failed Request Tracing...
    4. In the Edit Web Site Failed Request Tracing Settings dialog box, select the Enable check box to enable tracing, leave the default value or type a new directory where you want to store failed request log files in the Directory box, type the number of failed request trace files you want to store in the Maximum number of trace files box, and then click OK.

You can check log files in C:\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogFiles, it will give more details to troubleshoot this issue.

Further information:

Using Failed Request Tracing to Trace Rewrite Rules

Troubleshooting Failed Requests Using Tracing in IIS 7

Regards

Angie

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:53 PM
  • User1838751391 posted

Hi Angie

Thank you, I have enabled Request Tracing as you suggested and will check the resulting Log Files.

Regards

Iain

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:13 AM
  • User1838751391 posted

Hi Angie

This allowed me to identify an issue with the version of the .Net Framework which I have now resolved.

Thank You

Iain

Monday, June 16, 2014 9:33 AM