none
VB .Net application login issue

Question

• I have a VS application written in VB .Net that uses a mechanism to log users in automatically. The application looks to the current Windows session and determines the user ID of the current login and then runs a query against a list of users in the application database where one of the columns is the user IDs of the users. When a match is found the login occurs and the user is ready to use the app. If no user ID is found in the database then a message is displayed that no user account was found.

I have a machine that was a Windows 8.1 (64 bit) running SQL 2008. The machine was upgraded to Windows 10 and now the auto login is not working. It will tell me that "Tony" is logged into Windows but there's no user account for the user. The problem is that there is a user account for the user. I have quadruple verified that the table where users are stored is populated with a row that contains "Tony" as the user ID. I tried upgrading to SQL 2014 on the machine and this made no difference. I uninstalled SQL 2008 and this also did not help. I've rebooted at least half a dozen times and even altered the code to update the row for Tony's record to insert his user ID prior to the auto login feature kicking in. I am stumped. Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Rbelliveau,

According to your description, your problem is occurs when the Windows upgrade to Windows 10, which works fine in Windows 8.1, is it right?

Based on your logic for the login, there are three steps in this process. Get Windows Session, get User ID, compare these values. So please debug your code with the following steps to confirm which step causes this issue.

1. Check the current Windows session that you get in code. If there has anther machine which is Windows 8.1, please compare the Windows session between these machines, whether they are different on different machine. If the Windows session are different on different machine, you need to research whether there has any difference of Windows session between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
    2. If the Windows session are the same, please compare the User ID that you get from database, whether they are the same in these two Windows.
    3. If the Windows session and User ID are all the same, I'm afraid that the problem is caused by the code that how do you compare the Windows session and User ID.

If possible, please share some code snippet about how you implement the login logic, which can help us reproduce your problem in our side and find out whether there has any problem in your code or not.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 6:30 AM