Office API Version 1.3 (Item.saveAsync) supported version of Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently developed an office mail app using the office javascript api. I use a method on the Item object, saveAsync to save the mail item then get the item id to write a custom email header.  This has all worked great while using Office365.  Now I'm trying to deploy to an Exchange 2013 server and the saveAsync method is undefined.  The exchange host version: 15.0.1104.5.  I'm referencing office.js using a path that should give me the most recent version of Office.js. 

I know the office api version has to be 1.3, so I've adjusted my manifest to use 1.3 as my min version.  When trying to create the app with the min version set to 1.3 I get an error that says "The API version 1.3, required by this app is not supported by the Exchange Server version, 15.0.1104.5, that you are connecting to."

I can't seem to find a mapping between the exchange version and the office mail api version.  Any help with understanding this versioning is appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

Thursday, September 17, 2015 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hi tallen007,

>> The API version 1.3, required by this app is not supported by the Exchange Server version, 15.0.1104.5, that you are connecting to

Based on this error message, API 1.3 is not supported by Exchange Server version. I suggest you update your Exchange Server to latest version.

In addition, Mail API version of 1.3 is represent the client Outlook API version (Outlook client, Outlook web app). I suggest you update the Office client to the latest version.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 18, 2015 8:45 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response Edward.

I get that message when installing the app to the exchange 2013 server through the web administration application.  I want this office mail app to run on all user's mail accounts, so I think this is the right method.

I'm not sure I understand your second comment about updating the Office client to the latest version.  If you are talking about the Office.js reference, then I'm pointing to the most recent version of 1.x Office.js version hosted on the Microsoft.com servers. 

We've updated the Exchange server to the second to the latest release. The most recent release was just a few days ago and I was waiting on the new to wear off.  Rather than update to the latest and hope it works, I was looking for a cross reference between Exchange 2003 version and office javascript api.  Any ideas where I might find something like that?

thanks,

Todd

Friday, September 18, 2015 3:42 PM
  • Hi tallen007,

With the link and your exchange version, it seems you installed Exchange 2013 CU9 which is published on 6/16/2015.

# Updates for Exchange 2013
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj907309(v=exchg.150).aspx

SaveAsync method is introduced in version 1.3 on August 07, 2015. I am not sure whether it will work to update to latest version of Exchange, but I suggest you try to update your exchange version to Exchange 2013 CU10.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, September 21, 2015 8:22 AM
  • Thanks for the help Edward. 

We updated the Exchange Server to CU10 (15.0.1130.7) and it won't allow a office app with api 1.3 to be installed.

I guess this means that the latest version of Exchange doesn't support office javascript api v1.3.  Is there anywhere on the internet that states this, or shows what version of Office javascript api is supported on the Exchange version?

I would have liked to have know there were limitations before I proposed and developed this solution for my client. 

Is there another way to do a save?  I need to save a new message and get back the itemid, so that I can work with the item in Exchange Web Services.

thanks,

Todd

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:44 PM
  • Hi Todd,

I will confirm with my partner, and it will be some delay.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

Monday, September 28, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Had the same issue, did not realise this until testing the software just before release, had to upgrade the server to 2016 and up the minimum requirements for the software as well.

Requirements are available alongside the documentation for the API at:

https://dev.outlook.com/reference/add-ins/1.3/tutorial-api-requirement-sets.html

Not been able to find any information on whether or not it will be supported in an update to 2013 at any point.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:16 AM