SENS Logon and shell start RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a way to record the amount of time it takes from the moment a user logs in (enters account and password and then clicks the login button or presses enter) until there is a usable desktop.  This solution will run as a service and include a reporting capability to a central monitoring station that will notify admins of long login times.  The admins will use something like XPERF to dig into the root cause, so I don't need that kind of detail, just the two points in time.

This service will run on XP and later desktops.

Can anyone tell me when in this process the SENS logon event fires?  If it is after all of the authentication process has completed including things like GPO processing and roaming profile loading, does anyone know how I can capture the moment the authentication process starts?  I need the start time to be as close to the user clicking login as possible.

Will the shell start event be a good stopping point?  Is the user able to use their computer after this event fires or is there still some type of processing going on that could block user interaction?

Thanks for the help.

LD

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:42 AM

Answers

• I think it is raised immediately after the profile has loaded.

Tsang Chan

Monday, September 16, 2013 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Last Defense,

Welcome to MSDN forum!

Have you tried ISensLogon interface?

When to implement

Implement this interface on your sink object if you subscribe to any of the SENS logon events. Each event corresponds to a method in this interface. This interface is an outgoing interface defined by SENS and implemented by the subscriber application as a dispatch interface.

When to use

SENS and the COM Event System call the  ISensLogon methods on your sink object to fire the corresponding event.

I hope it is helpfule.

Regards!

<font color="0099FF">&lt;THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED &quot;AS IS&quot; WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED&gt;</font><br/> Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 16, 2013 7:52 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. 

That is exactly what I am referring to in my original question.  I cannot find any documentation that says when in the login process that that the Logon is raised.

LD

Monday, September 16, 2013 10:13 AM
  • I think it is raised immediately after the profile has loaded.

Tsang Chan

Monday, September 16, 2013 11:42 AM