FBA in sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to integrate FBA using third party membership providers in my Share point 2010 foundation site .Which i have used in my previous wss 3.0 site.I have configured all the settings in web.config but while logging i am facing below error

The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ServiceModel.FaultException: The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[FaultException: The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error. For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.]

Microsoft.IdentityModel.Protocols.WSTrust.WSTrustChannel.ReadResponse(Message response) +1161013

Microsoft.IdentityModel.Protocols.WSTrust.WSTrustChannel.Issue(RequestSecurityToken rst, RequestSecurityTokenResponse& rstr) +73

Microsoft.IdentityModel.Protocols.WSTrust.WSTrustChannel.Issue(RequestSecurityToken rst) +36

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurityContext.SecurityTokenForContext(Uri context, Boolean bearerToken, SecurityToken onBehalfOf, SecurityToken actAs, SecurityToken delegateTo) +26062081

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurityContext.SecurityTokenForFormsAuthentication(Uri context, String membershipProviderName, String roleProviderName, String username, String password) +26061068

Microsoft.SharePoint.IdentityModel.Pages.FormsSignInPage.GetSecurityToken(Login formsSignInControl) +188

Microsoft.SharePoint.IdentityModel.Pages.FormsSignInPage.AuthenticateEventHandler(Object sender, AuthenticateEventArgs formAuthenticateEvent) +123

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +152

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +124

System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +70

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +29

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2981

The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.

Monday, May 24, 2010 7:29 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Please review your web.config that error has been caused several times by spelling mistakes in the web.config.  Here is a blog with all the steps you need and here is a tool that might save you some pain http://blogs.technet.com/b/speschka/archive/2010/07/28/sharepoint-2010-forms-based-authentication-configuration-manager.aspx like the writer says I would perform a backup of your farm including web.config files just to keep it save.

I would suggest getting it working with Active Directory, then go and make the changes to work with the 3rd party membership.

NOTE: This tool is not supported by Microsoft and is being provided as is.

Hope this helps, post back.

Chris Weaver

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:46 PM

All replies

• I had a similar problem before and found that I needed to add the service debug in the web.config for the web service, under :

\14\WebServices\SecurityToken

I changed to the web.config there to add this in the bahvior

<serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="true"/>

This allowed me to view my problem, hopefully this helps you as well

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:16 AM
  • Hello,

I added that in behaviour and here is the exception details

An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:
    System.InvalidOperationException: An exception was thrown in a call to a policy export extension.
    Extension: System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportSecurityBindingElement
    Error: Security policy export failed. The binding contains a TransportSecurityBindingElement but no transport binding element that implements ITransportTokenAssertionProvider. Policy export for such a binding is not supported. Make sure the transport binding element in the binding implements the ITransportTokenAssertionProvider interface. ----> System.InvalidOperationException: Security policy export failed. The binding contains a TransportSecurityBindingElement but no transport binding element that implements ITransportTokenAssertionProvider. Policy export for such a binding is not supported. Make sure the transport binding element in the binding implements the ITransportTokenAssertionProvider interface.
      at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportSecurityBindingElement.System.ServiceModel.Description.IPolicyExportExtension.ExportPolicy(MetadataExporter exporter, PolicyConversionContext policyContext)
      at System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExporter.ExportPolicy(ServiceEndpoint endpoint)
      --- End of inner ExceptionDetail stack trace ---
      at System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExporter.ExportPolicy(ServiceEndpoint endpoint)
      at System.ServiceModel.Description.WsdlExporter.ExportEndpoint(ServiceEndpoint endpoint, XmlQualifiedName wsdlServiceQName)
      at System.ServiceModel.Description.WsdlExporter.ExportEndpoints(IEnumerable`1 endpoints, XmlQualifiedName wsdlServiceQName)
      at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceMetadataBehavior.MetadataExtensionInitializer.GenerateMetadata()
      at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceMetadataExtension.EnsureInitialized()
      at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceMetadataExtension.HttpGetImpl.InitializationData.InitializeFrom(ServiceMetadataExtension extension)
      at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceMetadataExtension.HttpGetImpl.GetInitData()
      at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceMetadataExtension.HttpGetImpl.TryHandleDocumentationRequest(Message httpGetRequest, String[] queries, Message& replyMessage)
      at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceMetadataExtension.HttpGetImpl.ProcessHttpRequest(Message httpGetRequest)
      at SyncInvokeGet(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
      at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
      at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
      at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
      at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc)
      at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)
    Any Help on this would be appreciated
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:38 AM
  • Hello,

Please review your web.config that error has been caused several times by spelling mistakes in the web.config.  Here is a blog with all the steps you need and here is a tool that might save you some pain http://blogs.technet.com/b/speschka/archive/2010/07/28/sharepoint-2010-forms-based-authentication-configuration-manager.aspx like the writer says I would perform a backup of your farm including web.config files just to keep it save.

I would suggest getting it working with Active Directory, then go and make the changes to work with the 3rd party membership.

NOTE: This tool is not supported by Microsoft and is being provided as is.

Hope this helps, post back.

Chris Weaver

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:46 PM
  • This helped me. Thanks Stephen
    Monday, January 31, 2011 8:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Islam Khattab Monday, July 25, 2011 1:10 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 1:08 PM