none
vc++ 2010 - "Unable to find a version of the runtime..." Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I've reviewed other threads and tried some things, but nothing seems to work.  My understanding is that an app.config file would help, but that i can't build one using vc++ 2010.

I've got a clean copy of Windows XP SP3 installed on a VM.  I then install .NET framework 4 standalone, and the vc++2010 redistributable package.

I try to run an application I wrote for .NET 4 in vc++2010, and i receive the "unable to find a version of the runtime to run this app...".  I used the .NET verification tool to verify the install is okay - which it is.

I can run this application fine on a clean copy of Windows server 2008 pro, my dev system windows 7, and an XP system that i use for some development as well.  

There are numerous differences between the dev XP box where this application runs and the clean copy i'm working on.  Namely, i have visual studio 2010 installed on that box, and it is up to date on windows updates.  It also has .NET 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, and 3.5 SP 1 installed.

Questions:

-Is this a .NET problem, vc++ 2010 resditrib problem, or can i compile my application differently?

-Is there something on my dev XP box allowing this to run?  Is it just that i'm installing vc++ 2010, maybe the .NET 4 multi targeting pack, maybe just the install is doing something?

-I cannot access the windows update site from where this system is located, but i could download and move some updates over.  Is there an update after XP SP3 that would help solve this problem?

I appreciate any comments, and let me know if i can add any more information.

Thanks,

-lta

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:51 PM

Answers

• Problem Resolved.

I installed .NET framework v3.5 and now it is working.  My theory (and this may be confusing) is that my vc++ 2010 application is a wrapper for another application that was built targeted to v3.5.  So the problem was never with the application i built, it was that i didn't install v3.5 for this other application that it launches.

The error was being generated from that application, but i had no way of know it.

Thanks,

-lta

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, July 6, 2011 4:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:23 PM

All replies

• I also tried installing the update to .NET 4 dated 6/8/11, but the problem remains.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3556

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Problem Resolved.

I installed .NET framework v3.5 and now it is working.  My theory (and this may be confusing) is that my vc++ 2010 application is a wrapper for another application that was built targeted to v3.5.  So the problem was never with the application i built, it was that i didn't install v3.5 for this other application that it launches.

The error was being generated from that application, but i had no way of know it.

Thanks,

-lta

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, July 6, 2011 4:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:23 PM