Where are the stored credentials for my queries when I deploy to windows mobile 6.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm adding direct sql server connection to a software developed with .Net Compact Framework 3.5, using C# and strongly typed datasets.

When I create a Query from the strongly typed dataset designer, I choose to connect to our databases using a connection listed in the Server Explorer window from Visual Studio 2008. The connection have the credentials stored on it.

What I want to know is if the credentials could be visible to the final user trough the file explorer in the Windows 6.1 device once deployed.  Are they included in the main .exe ?

I was unable to find where they are stored in the project itself (no app.config file for my windows mobile project, and nothing found on the device once the project is deployed)

As super-super-strong security is not a big concern for the time being, I am thinking about hardcoding the passwords in the code itself using  some indirect way like changing chars or so (call me bad developer) , just for not wasting too much time in using encryption methods  like Rijndael, Hashes (time=money).

Thanks in advance,

Roger

• Edited by Roger Tranchez Friday, September 20, 2013 11:23 AM First version wasn't accurate
    Friday, September 20, 2013 11:19 AM

Answers

• hi Roger,

Welcome to msdn forum.

According to your description,

What I want to know is if the credentials could be visible to the final user trough the file explorer in the Windows 6.1 device once deployed.  Are they included in the main .exe ?

As far as I know, they are not included in the main .exe.

Lets you specify whether a user has system administrative credentials on the device, without modifying metabase

role assignments.

• If this setting is Enabled, the  user does not have administrative credentials. Only someone with a   SECROLE_MANAGER security role has full administrative access to the      device.
    • If this setting is Disabled, the user and manager have full administrative access. This means that the user      can change device security settings.
    • If this setting is Not Configured, existing device-specific policies for system administrative credentials  apply.

I was unable to find where they are stored in the project itself (no app.config file for my windows mobile project, and nothing found on the device once the project is deployed)

I suggest that you should check whether all the files are existed when you deployed.

I think CAB files are the preferred way to deploy Windows Mobile applications, you can try to do it.

More information:

#Better way to deploy to Windows Mobile Device

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/902800/better-way-to-deploy-to-windows-mobile-device

If I misunderstand you, please let me know.

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Eileen ni

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by Eileen ni Friday, September 27, 2013 8:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eileen ni Monday, September 30, 2013 5:16 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 6:44 AM