Controlling type names on client RRS feed

• Question

• I have a service (WCF) that returns MultipleResult<R1, R2> for an operation. When the code is generated for the client application the name of the type is MultipleResultOfR1ofR2. How can I control the name that is generated for the client when wsdl is retrieved?

R1 = Result1

R2 = Result2

I have a situation where more than one result can be returned and I did not want to create a type for all the combination of results that can be returned so I provided this custom class that will allow the implementor to specify the return types.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:51 PM

Answers

• This may not be a naming issue. It appears from the generated class name that WCF cannot handle generics as generics. Certainly WSDL cannot describe a generic operation.

I think you'll have to create the separate types like:

public class MultipleResultIntInt : MultipleResult<int,int>

{

}

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:04 AM

All replies

• This may not be a naming issue. It appears from the generated class name that WCF cannot handle generics as generics. Certainly WSDL cannot describe a generic operation.

I think you'll have to create the separate types like:

public class MultipleResultIntInt : MultipleResult<int,int>

{

}

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:04 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, WCF can handle generics it has to do with when the wsdl is generated for the client that the name is generated as such. I thought there may be a way to intercept the generation of the name before sending off to the client.

Friday, September 21, 2007 1:27 AM